Youths who broke boy’s jaw and dragged him on to rail line at Lanarkshire station walk free from High Court


Two teenagers from Lanarkshire who attacked a boy and then dragged him onto a railway line have been admonished by a judge.

Jordan Duncan and Stephen Fairservice left then 17-year-old Andrew Paterson with a broken jaw following the incident in May 2018.

The first offenders – both now 19 – returned to the dock today (Friday) at the High Court in Glasgow.

The Lanarkshire Live app is available to download now.

Get all the news from your area – as well as features, entertainment, sport and the latest on Lanarkshire’s recovery from the coronavirus pandemic – straight to your fingertips, 24/7.

The free download features the latest breaking news and exclusive stories, and allows you to customize your page to the sections that matter most to you.

Head to the App Store and never miss a beat in Lanarkshire – iOS – Android

They earlier each pleaded guilty to assaulting their victim to his severe injury, disfigurement and to the danger of his life at Lanark railway station in South Lanarkshire.

But, judge Lord Beckett decided to admonish the duo citing a number of factors including a “high level of provocation” and hearing that Paterson had initially been armed with a sword, injuring one of them.

Trainee chef Duncan and Fairservice – both 15 at the time – had been with the boy that night.

After a row, the then 17-year-old walked off but later confronted the pair in the car park of a Morrison’s supermarket next to the train station.

Prosecutor Mark Mohammed said he had a samurai sword hidden down the inside of his trousers.

See also  Adorable toddler suffers severe burns after garden fire pit explodes in front of her

He went on to strike Fairservice on the foot with the weapon.

But, the teenager was then chased by Duncan, Fairservice and others on to the station platform.

Mr Mohammed said: “The group – including both Duncan and Fairservice – repeatedly punched and kicked him on the body knocking him to the ground.

“Fairservice jumped onto the railway line – next to the buffers – and dragged the boy onto there.

“Duncan remained on the platform and assisted with the dragging before walking away in possession of the sword.”

Paterson was described as bleeding, conscious, but not moving before another boy helped him back to the platform, where an ambulance was called.

He needed an operation for the broken jaw. The teenager also suffered wounds to his head and ear.

Prosecutors accepted Duncan, of Law, and Fairservice, both of Lanark, had acted “under provocation.”

They had initially been accused of attempted murder. Three others also faced the same allegation, but had not guilty pleas accepted.

Sentencing, Lord Beckett said he had read background reports and that such an offense would often see someone locked up.

However, the judge listed a string of factors including the provocation, both being 15 at the time and them having to wait four years for the case to be dealt with.

Lord Beckett concluded: “I am going to admonish you. There will be no further punishment.

“This is the end of the line. You are free to leave.”

See also  Sam Heughan: Outlander's Jamie Fraser actor Sam Heughan enjoys a meal at Tom Kitchin's Edinburgh restaurant for Men In Kilts TV series

But, he warned the pair still had a high court conviction which would have an impact should they get into bother again.

**Don’t miss the latest headlines from around Lanarkshire. Sign up to our newsletters here.

And did you know Lanarkshire Live is on Facebook? Head on over and give us a like and share!


Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.