Woman punched, kicked and spat at police and paramedics after boozy night out

A woman punched, kicked and spat at both police and paramedics who were contacted after she attacked a bartender who was trying to help her.

Gail Peacock, 52, was out drinking with three male companions at a pub when it became apparent that she had had too much to drink.

Teesside Crown Court heard how a bartender found Peacock with vomit all down her clothing, before asking her to leave the Green Dragon pub in Darlington.

Prosecutor Peter Sabiston told the court that Peacock then simply “slid down her chair to sleep”, Teesside Live reports.

The bartender put the drunk woman into the emergency position and called an ambulance.

But Mr Sabiston said that Peacock woke up and accused the member of staff of kicking and punching her, before admitting that she suffered from mental health problems.

The court heard that when Peacock was taken out of the pub and “she seemed to slide down the wall”.

As the paramedics arrived, Peacock grabbed the bartender and kicked her in the mouth.

She then turned on the emergency workers – kicking two of them.

When the police arrived, Peacock began spitting at them and punched one police officer hard to the side of her head.

In a statement, the officer said: “Before I could say anything or intervene, she punched me hard to the side of my head. I believe this attack was out of complete malice and anger.

“I also feel disgusted that she spat at me when I was trying to make her more comfortable.

“When I got home, I began to feel extremely unwell – sick and dizzy.

“I waited for two hours in A&E after my 14-hour shift. I was advised I had possible concussion but there was another two hour wait for the doctor. I returned home at 2am.”

Peacock, of Gilling Crescent in Darlington, pleaded guilty to five counts of assaulting an emergency worker and two counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm at an earlier hearing at Teesside Magistrates Court.

Mitigating, Shaun Dryden told the court that his client had only begun offending two years ago and that she had an alcohol problem and a personality disorder. Peacock’s three previous convictions are for similar offenses.

Mr Dryden said that his client had given up drinking after the incident in August last year; and that Peacock is a “mild mannered, softly spoken pleasant individual when not in drink.

“She is terrified of going to prison. She doesn’t think she’ll cope in prison.”

Judge Paul Watson told Peacock that she had “behaved absolutely deplorably” but that he was going to give her one final chance: “I’m going to send you to prison for a total of 16-months. But not today. I’m going to give you six months to provide yourself”

The judge ordered that Peacock attends regular appointments with the probation service and returns to court for a deferred sentence in August. If she has offended again or not co-operated with probation, then she will serve the 16-month sentence.

Standing at the back of the court, in a green anorak, Peacock said “I apologize for all the problems I’ve caused.

“It’s not my nature, I’m a caring person.”

Judge Watson replied “You won’t get another chance. There won’t be another one.”

“Can I say something Your Honour?” Peacock continued, “I do apologise. I don’t need alcohol. I don’t enjoy it.”

Don’t miss the latest news from around Scotland and beyond – Sign up to our daily newsletter here.


Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *