Wimbledon 2022 LIVE: Nick Kyrgios beats Stefanos Tsitsipas and Rafael Nadal result

Digitally cleared daily wrap from 2022 Wimbledon Championships

Nick Kyrgios defeated Stefanos Tsitsipas in four extraordinary sets to reach the fourth round of Wimbledon, as the Australian overcame a mid-match meltdown in a heated contest to seal a thrilling 6-7 (2) 6-4 6-3 7-6 ( 8) win.

And the friction between the players did not end there, with Tsitsipas accusing Kyrgios of being “evil” and a “bully” in a fiery post-match press conference. In response, Kyrgios labeled Tsitsipas “soft” and said he did not do anything during the match to “disrespect” his opponent.

It came at the end of an eventful day of upsets at SW19. World No 1 Iga Swiatek is out after Alize Cornet snapped her 37-match win streak with a 6-4 6-2 victory. Coco Gauff was also eliminated by Amanda Anisimova, who clinched a 6-7 6-2 6-1 win over her fellow American.

Earlier, Katie Boulter faced Harmony Tan in the opening match of the day on Court No 2 and was thrashed 6-1 6-1 in just 51 minutes. Tan, who shocked Serena Williams with a memorable win in the opening round, blitzed the Brit as she emerged to victory.

Liam Broady is also out after a straight sets defeat to the impressive Alex De Minaur – Boulter’s boyfriend – who saw off a late fight from the 28-year-old British wildcard to take a 6-4 6-4 7-6 win. In the last match of the day, Rafael Nadal raced to a straight sets win over Lorenzo Sonego.

Follow all the action from day six, including live updates and results from the All England Club

1656798145

Nick Kyrgios labels Stefanos Tsitsipas ‘soft’ and reacts to ‘evil bully’ accusation at Wimbledon

“He’s soft,” Kyrgios said. “We’re not cut from the same cloth. If you’re affected by that today, that’s what’s holding him back.”

“When you start losing to me again, you get angry,” Kyrgios said. “That’s not bullying. I don’t know why he’s so hurt.”

Jamie Braidwood2 July 2022 22:42

1656797457

Stefanos Tsitsipas calls Nick Kyrgios a ‘bully’ after ‘circus’ of fiery Wimbledon clash

Stefanos Tsitsipas accused Nick Kyrgios of being a “bully” following the “circus” of their fiery third-round clash at Wimbledon.

Tsitsipas, the tournament’s fourth seed, was upset in four dramatic sets by Kyrgios that saw both players handed code violations after losing their temper.

The Greek player apologized after whacking a ball into the crowd in frustration, narrowly avoiding the head of a spectator, but said he had been “triggered” by the behavior of Kyrgios on the other side of the net.

Kyrgios, who called for Tsitsipas to be defaulted for the incident, was involved in a constant exchange with the umpire during the heated four-set match and insisted that he did nothing to “disrespect” his opponent during the contest.

“It’s constant bullying, that’s what he does,” Tsitsipas said. “He bullies the opponents. He was probably a bully at school himself. I don’t like bullies. I don’t like people that put other people down.”

Jamie Braidwood2 July 2022 22:30

1656796755

Nick Kyrgios on Stefanos Tsitsipas’ ‘bullying’ claim

“When you start losing to me again, you get angry.

“He wasn’t man enough to do that today, he’s not going to come up to me in the locker room.

“I’m not confronting anybody about anything. That’s not bullying. I don’t know why he’s so hurt.”

jack ratborn2 July 2022 22:19

1656795617

Tsitsipas: “It’s constant bullying. He was probably a bully at school. He has some good traits but he has an evil side to him. The handshake part, it was deserved. I need to congratulate my opponent. His performance of him, his behavior of him, if there was a handshake for that I would be walking away.

Tsitsipas is asked if he has Covid. “No, I tested. I have a cold. It’s pretty bad but I wanted to play Wimbledon.”

Back to Kyrgios: “I don’t think you can play Kyrgios without a circus. I spoke to the umpire but he it’s crossing a line in lots of ways. It makes for better tennis, the way it’s meant to be played, like every other opponent.”

Jamie Braidwood2 July 2022 22:00

1656795381

Tsitsipas on why he started hitting the ball at Kyrgios: “Just to stop… This needs to stop. This is not okay. Someone needs to sit down with him… There was frustration behind it. I cannot act like a robot. It has happened three or four times now. You are out there, doing your job and there is noise coming for no reason.”

Jamie Braidwood2 July 2022 21:56

1656795281

Tsitsipas on hitting the ball into the crowd: “It was bad from my side. I apologized. I do not know what through my head. I think the circus on the other side of the net becomes tiring. I didn’t hit any people. It hits the wall, thank god, but I will not be doing that again. But there was something that created that behaviour.

“I wish we could all come together to put a rule in place on talking… every point I played today it felt like there was something going on on the other side of the net. He cannot play another way. It’s his way of manipulating the opponent. It triggers it so fast. I really hope all us players can make this a cleaner version of our sport. Have this behavior not allowed and move on better.”

Jamie Braidwood2 July 2022 21:54

1656795099

Tsitsipas: “I enjoyed it today. I enjoyed the way I fought. I’m disappointed with some of the things that went down, especially when it is repetitive. It becomes difficult to ignore.

“I like what his tennis has to bring. It’s different, that’s a good thing. There becomes a point where you get tired of it. The constant talking, the constant complaining. We are there to play tennis. The referee is not going to change his decision about him. It is frustrating to see that people get away with that.”

Jamie Braidwood2 July 2022 21:51

1656794651

Nick Kyrgios overcomes meltdown to defeat Stefanos Tsitsipas in heated Wimbledon thriller

A third-round match between Nick Kyrgios and Stefanos Tsitsipas at Wimbledon was always going to be lively but few on Court One could have predicted even this to reach such explosive levels of unhinged drama and animosity.

As a measure of the hostility by the third set of this fractious affair, Tsitsipas had taken to aiming balls at Kyrgios, rather than attempting to pass his opponent at the net. He was lashing out after Kyrgios led, despite the Australian losing his focus in a tirade at the umpire, demanding for Tsitspas to be disqualified for whacking a ball into the crowd. Kyrgios, so often the anti-villain of Wimbledon, had become Court One’s anti-hero, and between underarm serves, arguments, swearing and verbal abuse warnings, emerged with an impressive and thrilling 6-7 (2) 6-4 6-3 7-6 (8) victory in over three hours.

Full report on the Battle of Court One.

Jamie Braidwood2 July 2022 21:44

1656793953

Iga Swiatek won’t be hard on herself as winning streak ends at Wimbledon

World number one Iga Swiatek insisted she would not be hard on herself after her remarkable 37-match winning streak came to an end at Wimbledon.

Polish star Swiatek struggled throughout the third-round tie and served up 32 unforced errors to bow out of the All England Club on day six.

“I hope this is going to be the thing that I’m going to be proud of. I mean, right now even I am satisfied with this streak, so I’m happy that I was able to do that,” she reflected.

“Honestly, yeah usually I am hard on myself. Here, I know how I felt before matches, I know how I felt when I was practising. Let’s just say that I didn’t feel like I’m in a best shape, so I’m kind of aware that this could happen.

“Maybe it’s not the right attitude to have, but it is like it is.”

Karl Matchett2 July 2022 21:32

1656793344

Nick Kyrgios speaks after beating Stefanos Tsitsipas

The man speaks on-court after the match:

“Honestly it was a hell of an atmosphere. I knew it was going to be a tough match, he knows how to beat me, I had my own tactics.

“He was getting frustrated at times, it’s a frustrating sport. I have ultimate respect for him whatever happens on the court.

“I seem to have full stadiums everywhere I go. The media loves to write that I’m bad from the sport but clearly not!”

Karl Matchett2 July 2022 21:22