Will Smith “accepts” and “respects” the veto of the Hollywood Academy





Will Smith has assured that he “accepts” and “respects” the veto approved by the Hollywood Academy this Friday, which will prevent his attendance at all the events it organizes, including the Oscars, for the next 10 years.

“I accept and respect the Academy’s decision,” he said in a brief statement sent by his representative to the US media.

The veto, which will last more than a decade, was approved by the Board of Governors of the Academy as a sanctioning measure for the slap in the face of humorist Chris Rock during the last Oscar ceremony, on March 27.

“Mr. Smith will not be permitted to attend, physically or virtually, any of the events or programs of the Hollywood Academy, including but not limited to the Oscars,” Academy President David Rubin said in a letter. and its CEO, Dawn Hudson.

He resigned his Academy membership last week.

The short statement does not specify whether the actor is still eligible for award nominations.

Permanent expulsion from the organization, another sanction on the table, was automatically ruled out when Smith himself resigned his Academy membership last week.

In this way Smith He avoided being forcibly expelled, as was the case with Harvey Weinstein, Bill Cosby, Adam Kimmel and Roman Polanski.all of them accused of serious sexual crimes.

Just a week ago, the actor announced that he was leaving the Academy after describing his performance at the 94th Oscars as “shocking, painful and inexcusable.”

See also  Repsol: Marine fauna and endangered species suffer the effects of the oil spill in Peru | International

Smith took that position two days after a disciplinary file was opened.

Rock was slapped after joking about Smith’s wife’s alopecia

the academy, which brings together almost 10,000 members of the audiovisual industrythen urged him to issue a written statement about his controversial slap in the face of comedian Chris Rock at the Oscars, after he joked about Smith’s wife, Jada Pinkett-Smith, having alopecia.

More than a week later, reactions to the moment are still making headlines, including in British tabloids like The Sunwhat states that Smith has entered a rehabilitation clinic to manage his stress.

In addition, Netflix and Sony have suspended production on the two films, ‘Fast and Loose’ and ‘Bad Boys 4’, which he was to star in..

Regarding the Academy’s response, its directors have admitted that “they fell short” by letting the actor continue at the gala and accept an award. “We were not prepared for something unprecedented,” they told EFE.




www.rtve.es

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.