All patients at Royal Alexandra Hospital, Paisley can now be visited by loved ones as covid restrictions begin to ease.
Health board chiefs at NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde announced the change today, with the reintroduction of visitation including all adult inpatient wards, including mental health. The visitor can change every day.
Additionally, all maternity wards will now be able to accommodate two visitors, one essential and one additional person. Visits should be scheduled in advance with the conservatee so we can all follow physical distancing rules.
Don’t miss the latest headlines from all over Renfrewshire. Subscribe to our newsletters here.
In wards where a Covid-19 outbreak is being managed, essential visitation may be temporarily reintroduced to help protect staff, patients and visitors until the situation is resolved.
This relaxation of visiting restrictions follows a decline in the prevalence of Covid-19 in the community and is in line with a national relaxation of restrictions as outlined by the Scottish Government last week.
Visitors planning to make a trip to the hospital to visit an inpatient are reminded of the following safety measures that remain in place:
1. Consider the additional potential risk that visitors may bring to patients, family members, and staff, when deciding whether or not to visit.
2. Before your visit, take a lateral flow test to make sure you don’t have Covid-19
3. Unless you are exempt, you must continue to wear a face mask during your visit.
4. Use hand gel on arrival, departure, and when coming into contact with surfaces during your visit.
5. Maintain a physical distance of two meters whenever possible
6. Do not visit if you have symptoms of Covid-19, or if you are isolating due to contact with a person with Covid-19, unless it is in specific and limited situations, such as end-of-life care.
Jennifer Rodgers, deputy director of nursing for the NHSGGC, said, “We know how important it is for patients to be able to receive the support of at least one visitor a day. The move to essential visits was only temporary and in light of Omicron’s reduced impact on the community and our hospitals, we have worked as quickly as possible to reintroduce visits for patients.
“While the news is welcome, we still urge caution and advise all visitors to ensure they are familiar with current safety guidelines to help minimize any potential spread of the virus. These guidelines are available to view on the NHSGGC website on the visit pages.
Angela O’Neill, NHSGGC’s Assistant Director of Nursing, added, “We would like to thank our patients and the public for their patience and understanding during this difficult and challenging time. We continue to monitor the situation and where it is safe and appropriate to do so, we will look to further ease visitation restrictions as we work to return to person-centered visitation.”
Full details of changes to visits can be found here: https://www.nhsggc.scot/your-health/covid-19/patients-hospital-appointments-and-visiting