Upcoming Will Smith films ‘to be axed’ after violent Oscars outburst


Several of Will Smith’s upcoming projects could be axed after his violent outburst on stage at The Oscars.

The actor shocked Hollywood last weekend when he burst on stage and slapped Chris Rock after he made a joke about his wife, Jada Pinkett-Smith’s hair.

The 53-year-old didn’t stop there, when he sat back down, he repeatedly screamed: “Keep my wife’s name out your f***ing mouth!” While the astonished A-List audience watched on in shock, reports the Mirror.

Will has since apologized to Chris via social media and on Saturday announced that he had resigned from his position as a member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.



Chris Rock was violently slapped by Will Smith during the 2022 Oscars ceremony

However, a string of film projects are now said to have stalled in light of Will’s violent actions which have divided opinions and generated headlines around the world.

The Hollywood Reporter claims that a Netflix film titled Fast and Loose and due to star Will has been shelved in light of the scandal.

The film had originally been set to be directed by David Leitch, but he pulled out of the project a week before the Oscars sending Netflix into a frenzied search for a replacement.

But now, in light of Will’s slap-happy actions, the outlet reports: “Soon after Smith’s attack on Chris Rock on the Oscars stage, Netflix quietly moved the project to the back burner.”

The film was set to tell the story of a crime lord who loses his memory and then tries to rebuild his life – but the outlet adds: “It appears that Netflix was understandably wary of moving forward. It is unclear whether it will try to make the project with another star and director.”



Will Smith
Reports have suggested Sony have canceled plans to make Bad Boys 4 after Will slapped Chris

TMZ also suggest that Will’s other Netflix projects, namely The Council and Bright 2 could also be binned as a consequence of his violent actions.

Will’s outburst has also sent shockwaves to Apple+ who are deep in post-production on a drama tilted Emancipation which tells the story of a runaway slave from a Louisiana plantation.

The film had already been tipped to secure Will a second Best Actor Oscar nomination but the Hollywood Reporter now claims: “The streamer had planned a 2022 debut but has not dated its release.”

It is also claimed that Bad Boys 4, which had been in active development at Sony and Will had “received 40 pages of the script prior to the Oscars” has now been put on “pause” as the repercussions of Will’s actions continue.

TMZ adds: “There are other Sony-tied films of his (either as a producer or actor) that might see the same fate including a Hancock sequel and a Karate Kid sequel.

“He’s got a production company now… so beyond just starring in films, he’s heavily involved in making them lately.”

In a statement released on Saturday, Will said: “I betrayed the trust of the Academy. I deprived other nominees and winners of their opportunity to celebrate and be celebrated for their extraordinary work. I am heartbroken.”

“So, I am resigning from membership in the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, and will accept any further consequences the Board deems appropriate.”

The Academy, meanwhile, have said they are continuing to investigate the drama that unfolded at the awards show – and Will could yet be stripped of his Best Actor gong which he secured for his performance as Richard Williams in the biopic King Richard.

Don’t miss the latest news from around Scotland and beyond – Sign up to our daily newsletter here .




www.dailyrecord.co.uk

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *