A Ukrainian man has been able to track the movements of Russian troops through the Apple AirPods they stole from his home.
Vitaliy Semenets had the Bluetooth headphones looted from his house in Hostomel, near Kyiv, shortly after Putin’s forces tried to topple the Ukrainian capital.
Since the AirPods were taken, he has been able to track the thieving soldiers using the Find My app installed on Apple products, the Mirror reports.
Semenets can see the location of the troops using an online map and has been following them on their 550-mile retreat across the war-torn country.
He was able to watch as they were taken across the border into Belarus and make there way to an area near Gomel.
Mr Semenets has been sharing updates about his AirPods journey on his Instagram account.
Apple’s Find My app can trace missing devices via Bluetooth or if they connect to the internet.
On his Instagram, Mr Semenets wrote: “Thanks to technology, I know where my AirPods are now. They were looted by Russian orcs from my home in Hostomel.”
Last week the Airpods reached Belgorod, a city in Russia where Putin is assembling troops for an assault on the eastern Donbas region of Ukraine.
It comes as the ‘battle for Donbas’ has begun as Russian forces launch an all-out onslaught of eastern Ukraine.
Putin’s war machine has commenced its bombardment of the east with chilling footage posted on social media showing the night sky lit up amid the relentless fresh shelling of cities.
Kremlin forces launched their long-anticipated offensive through the east of Ukraine in what is being seen as the second phase of the conflict, beginning from Monday night.
Footage on social media appears to show repeated heavy shelling centered in the regions of Donetsk and Luhansk while Ukrainian media reported some powerful explosions in the cities of Marinka, Slavyansk and Kramatorsk.
Ukrainian officials and media also said explosions were heard in Kharkiv in the northeast of Ukraine, Mykolaiv in the south and Zaporizhzhia in the southeast.
Air raid sirens were also going off in main centers near the front line.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said Russia had begun the “Battle of Donbas” and that a “very large part of the entire Russian army is now focused on this offensive”.
“No matter how many Russian troops they send there, we will fight. We will defend ourselves,” he said in a video address.
Zelensky’s chief of staff, Andriy Yermak, assured Ukrainians their forces could hold off the offensive in “the second phase of the war.”
Don’t miss the latest news from around Scotland and beyond – Sign up to our daily newsletter here.