Tyson Fury vs Anthony Joshua fight date 2022: Will it happen and what has been said?



Tyson Fury vs. Anthony Joshua is the fight that has been on boxing fans’ lips for years. But the prospects of the bout actually taking place seem slimmer than ever after Fury confirmed his retirement from him.

The Gypsy King claimed on several occasions prior to his fight against Dillian Whyte on Saturday that he planned to call it a day. And the 33-year-old confirmed that the case remains after retaining his heavyweight crown at Wembley.

Fury said: “I promised my lovely wife Paris that after the (Deontay) Wilder three fight that would be it. I meant it.

READ MORE: Rio Ferdinand sends Anthony Joshua message over Tyson Fury retirement

“But I got offered a fight at Wembley and I thought I owed it to the fans, to every person in the United Kingdom, to come here and fight. Now it’s all done I have to be a man of my word and I think this is it.”

Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn claimed it was a ‘done deal’ for his fighter to take on his rival Fury last year. Contracts were signed, a date was in the process of being agreed, and the biggest all-British contest for decades looked on.

But the proposed fight fell through when Wilder won his arbitration case for another shot at Fury. The trilogy clash took place in October, with Fury victorious.

The previous month, Joshua took on Oleksandr Usyk at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium. The Londoner was defeated. Fast forward six months and Fury does have the all-British clash he was after – but it’s against Whyte instead of AJ.

Joshua, meanwhile, is set to face Usyk in a rematch of their first fight. That is due to happen in Saudi Arabia in July, if the latest reports are to be believed.

Joshua was offered a large sum of money to step aside from his fight to pave the way for Fury to take on Usyk in a bout to unify the heavyweight championship belts but he rejected the offer.

Fury hinted on repeated occasions that he will retire after fighting Whyte at Wembley Stadium. He confirmed in the post-fight press conference he plans to retire and hinted at a future in WWE or a crossover exhibition bout against UFC star Francis Ngannou.

It all leaves the prospects of Fury taking on Joshua close to nil as things stand with the chance of a fight date in 2022 looking dead in the water. But the war of words between the pair has continued and we take a look at what has been said:

What have Fury and Joshua said?

Joshua wasted no time in branding Fury a ‘fraud’ after the collapse of their fight last year. “Tyson Fury the world now sees you for the fraud you are,” Joshua posted.

“You’ve let boxing down! You lied to the fans and led them on. Used my name for clout not a fight. Bring me any championship fighter who can handle their business correctly.”

Fury fired back: “Anthony Joshua your [sic] more full of s*** than Eddie, spouting absolute s****! Your full team knew there was an arbitration going on, it was out of my hands!

“But I tell you what if I’m a fraud let’s fight this weekend bare knuckles till 1 man quits? Let’s put up 20 mill each!!!”

The war of words continued with Joshua saying: “If there was an arbitration going on, why announce to the world we are fighting! The fight was signed! UNDISPUTED.

“Bare knuckle? You’re a good kid, don’t play with me Luke! I’ll slap your bald head & you’ll do nothing! Wasteman.”

Fury promised to deal with Joshua after he had defeated Wilder for a third time. He wrote: “Not going in to the details on line! You’ll slap me about will you dosser please come and try Bum, I’m waiting… Femi AKA Bottlejob! 24/7 365. Ready. I’ll smoke wilder first then you will get yours as well.”




www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *