The shooter remains at large and multiple police cordons in place after two men shot

[ad_1]

A shooter is still at large after two men were shot dead in Wigan last night.

Two separate police scenes were held in the city on Wednesday night (January 26) after reports of a double shooting.

Emergency services were first called to Hawthorne Grove in Leigh at around 5:45pm and discovered that a gunshot had been fired.

READ MORE:Two men taken to hospital after shooting in Leigh

A short time later, officers received reports of a second shooting at Shadwell Grove, a mile away.

Detectives say they believe the two incidents could be related.

Police have confirmed that two men, one in his 30s and one in his 20s, were taken to hospital with gunshot wounds.

A police cordon in Hawthorne Grove Wednesday night.

No further information is yet known about the extent of his injuries.

No arrests have been made and the shooters are understood to remain at large.

Greater Manchester Police said in an update this morning that investigations remain “ongoing”.

Several cordons are currently being held in the surrounding areas as police continue their investigations.

Police say they will “leave no stone unturned” as they try to track down who is responsible.

Patrols in the area were also increased to reassure neighbors who have been concerned about the incident.

People who live nearby spoke with the Manchester Evening News and Expressed concern that the shootings had occurred at their doors.

One person said: “I have seen the rumors about what happened. I live here with my children, it is not good to see this at all.”

See also  Chelsea Turmoil has given Manchester United the chance to get their perfect manager

Police at Hawthorne Grove in Leigh

Another who lives on Tennyson Avenue, which abuts Shadwell Grove, added: “There were a lot of police cars and a helicopter flying over just after 6pm

“My family and all the neighbors were very concerned when they saw the number of police officers in the area.

“The fact that there’s more than one big cord means it looks really serious.”

In a statement released last night, Detective Superintendent Jamie Daniels said: “We are in the early stages of our investigation into these incidents, but believe they may be related.

Get the latest updates from across Greater Manchester delivered straight to your inbox with the free MEN Newsletter

You can register very easily by following the instructions here

“We have officers in Leigh conducting extensive investigations to establish exactly what happened.

“Two people are in hospital with gunshot wounds and I can assure you that we will leave no stone unturned as we work to find out who is responsible.

“We understand that the community will be concerned and as such we have deployed additional patrols to reassure them.

“If you have information that could help us with our investigation, please come forward. Anything said can be done confidentially or anonymously.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact the police on 0161 856 9101 or 0943 quoting 2599 01/26/22 or the independent charity – Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.



[ad_2]
www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.