‘That’s war’: Rebekah Vardy’s private messages about Coleen Rooney read out in court for the first time


Rebekah Vardy called Coleen Rooney a “nasty b***h” in messages revealed in court.

The messages also saw Mrs Vardy say it is “war” after Coleen Rooney publicly accused her fellow footballer’s wife of leaking stories to the press, the High Court has heard.

Tuesday (February 8) marked day two of a libel hearing between Mrs Vardy and Mrs Rooney.

Mrs Rooney, the wife of former Manchester United and England star Wayne, is being sued by Mrs Vardy, who is married to Leicester City striker Jamie, for libel.

READ MORE: Holly Willoughby reveals latest venture away from TV with ‘breathtaking’ snap

It comes after a Twitter post in October 2019 where Mrs Rooney accused Mrs Vardy of leaking stories about her private life after carrying out a months-long “sting operation”.

Mrs Rooney, who was quickly dubbed “Wagatha Christie”, claimed Mrs Vardy had shared fake stories she had posted on her personal Instagram account with The Sun newspaper.

At the start of a two-day hearing on Tuesday, the High Court heard that WhatsApp messages between Mrs Vardy and her PR and friend Caroline Watt had been disclosed ahead of the trial.

On the day of Mrs Rooney’s Twitter post which ended “It’s………. Rebekah Vardy’s account”, Mrs Vardy sent a message to Ms Watt, stating: “That’s war.”

According to Mrs Rooney’s written case, messages exchanged between Mrs Vardy and Ms Watt in January 2019 showed the pair discussing a post on Mrs Rooney’s private Instagram where her car had been damaged.

Rebekah and husband Jamie Vardy

Mrs Vardy told Ms Watt she “would love to leak those stories x”

See also  Nigel Farage calls on US to strengthen Nato to send a message to 'dangerous' Putin

In other WhatsApp messages shown in written submissions, Mrs Vardy refers to Mrs Rooney as a “nasty b***h” and “such ad**k”.

Mrs Rooney’s lawyers previously claimed that Mrs Vardy had leaked information to The Sun either directly or through Ms Watt “acting on her instruction or with her knowing approval”.

In written arguments, Mrs Rooney’s barrister David Sherborne said: “From the outset, Mrs Vardy has always claimed that neither she nor Ms Watt were involved in the leaking of private information from Mrs Rooney’s Instagram account.

“The recent disclosure has shown that this is emphatically not the case.”

Mr Sherborne said Ms Watt was later responsible for the leak of the story to the newspaper, with Mrs Vardy’s approval.

Coleen and Wayne Rooney

Days after the story about her car was published in The Sun, Mrs Rooney posted a tweet saying it was “sad” someone who followed her was “betraying” her.

According to written submissions, while discussing the tweet in a private WhatsApp conversation, Ms Watt told Mrs Vardy: “It wasn’t someone she trusted. It was me,” in a message accompanied by a laughing emoji.

At the hearing on Tuesday, Mr Sherborne said Mrs Rooney had brought a claim against Ms Watt for misuse of private information, which Ms Watt denies

At Tuesday’s hearing, Mrs Rooney’s lawyers applied for further information, including from Ms Watt and Mrs Vardy’s messages.

Hugh Tomlinson QC, for Mrs Vardy, said the denied allegations have caused her “huge damage and distress.”

In further WhatsApp messages between her and Ms Watt, Mrs Vardy said she had supported Mrs Rooney and suggested it was Mrs Rooney’s own PR who had leaked stories.

See also  Contractor appointed to carry out £750,000 renovation of Bell's Sports Center despite opposition from Perth clubs

Mrs Vardy is suing Mrs Rooney

“What a joke! All I’ve ever been is nice to her though! Even when Wayne was being ac*** x,” Mrs Vardy wrote.

She later added: “Bet it’s their PR again has to be x… I really can’t see anyone being that arsed with selling stories on her.”

Ian Helme, for Ms Watt, said she had given “clear and consistent” denials against the claim for misuse of private information.

In written arguments, the barrister said that it was not only Mrs Vardy’s Instagram account that had viewed the post about Mrs Rooney’s car, adding that the incident also took place in public.

“It is difficult to see how there could be said to be any reasonable expectation of privacy in relation to such information,” Mr Helme said.

He later said that Mrs Rooney’s lawyers had taken “an extremely aggressive, confrontational, no-stone-unturned approach”, calling the claim against her an abuse of process.

The trial is due to begin in early May of this year but it is likely this date may change.

The hearing before Mrs Justice Steyn is due to finish on Wednesday.

For all the latest news and gossip, click here to sign up to our newsletter




www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.