Teen dies in mum’s arms after infection forces family to turn off life support


Peter Kelbrick, from Glasgow, who suffered from cerebral palsy, passed away at Queen Elizabeth Hospital in his mum’s arms with his oxygen supply was cut off after he suffered a chest infection

Peter Kelbrick, from Glasgow, who suffered from cerebral palsy passed away at Queen Elizabeth Hospital
Peter Kelbrick, who had cerebral palsy, passed away at Queen Elizabeth Hospital

A teen died “in his mum’s arms” with his family having taken the heartbreaking decision to turn off his life support after he suffered a chest infection.

Peter Kelbrick, who had cerebral palsy, passed away at Queen Elizabeth Hospital on November 24.

The 19-year-old, from Glasgow, had been admitted with a chest infection and his mum Caroline Kelbrick, 45, said she had a “gut feeling” it was serious.

It was not unusual for him to have chest infections but this time his condition worsened and he needed to be put in a coma, reported the Daily Record.

Doctors gave his family the terrible option of operating with his chances of survival slim, or they could let him go peacefully, and they chose to remove his oxygen replacing it with morphine to make him comfortable.

Peter’s family never left his side with his mum “cuddling him in the hospital bed” before waking up to find he had passed away at 8.50am.

Peter with his mum and Dr Audrey McClymont in 2013



Heartbroken sister Carly Kelbrick, 23, said: “My family are heartbroken to lose Peter. To those who passed him by he was just a disabled boy in a chair, but to our family Peter was so much more.

“He always had a smile on his face, he loved going outside with my mum and dad and feeling the rain on his skin. Now it really feels like something is missing from our family, we are all so close.”

She continued: “We were told they could operate on him but there was a high chance he could die on the surgery table and my mum just didn’t want that.

“My family stayed with him in the hospital and gathered round him, my mum was even cuddled in the bed with him.

“They fell asleep and woke up to find he had his monitor gone flat and he had passed away at 8.50pm on Wednesday.

Caroline Kelbrick (pictured in 2003) had a “gut feeling” her son’s chest infection was more serious than normal


Sunday Mail)

“Although we knew Peter wouldn’t have a full life expectancy this has come as such a shock to us.

Peter was born healthy with his twin Paul Kelbrick in 2002 before suffering an allergic reaction to chicken pox at four months old.

This then triggered multiple cardiac arrests which led to his cerebral palsy and countless hospital stays which plagued him with health conditions for the rest of his life.

Peter was also diagnosed with epilepsy and spastic quadriplegia – meaning he couldn’t use his arms or legs. He was partially sighted and only able to see shadows.

Now his family want to buy a large headstone of a boy leaping out of a wheelchair to honour his memory.

They have been quoted around £18k for the sculpture which they are now fundraising for online.

Carly added: “My mum and dad have been Peter’s full time carers and they have never asked for anything. Our family have always just got by – but now we need help to get Peter’s headstone.

“My mum saw one online of a wee boy leaping out of his wheelchair and really wants it for Peter. We have been quoted about £18k for it and so I have set up a Gofundme to try and help put towards it.

“My parents have helped our family with everything and this is just me really trying to pay them back a bit, so any help at all would be really appreciated.”

Carly’s GoFundMe message reads: “I’m raising money to help my mum and dad cover some costs for my little brother’s funeral.

Peter was born healthy with his twin Paul Kelbrick in 2002 before he developed cerebral palsy


Sunday Mail)

“Peter peacefully passed away in my mum’s arms surrounded by family on Wednesday morning after a tough 19 years.

“Doctors told my mum and dad he would have months rather than years and that’s when he started fighting.

“Every day, week, month and the years to come my family were thankful that our little fighter kept going defying all the odds.

“Countless hospital stays and operations, chest infections and sickness he fought through them all, right until the very last breath he fought and that is what he will always be remembered for.

“I could go on and continue writing all about him, but I’ll keep it short for now so thank you for taking the time to read and donate if you are in the position to do so.

“Please share this to spread the word.”

Click here for more information about a GoFundMe set up to support Peter’s family.

Read More

Read More


See also  Adorable dog with 'very waggy bum' spends 500 days in RSPCA kennels

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.