Team USA Winter Olympics – live: Zoi Sadowski-Synnott’s dad’s wild F-bomb reaction

Beijing 2022: Winter Olympics round up

Vincent Zhou, the second ranked American male skater behind Nathan Chan has tested positive for Covid-19 and will now be forced to miss the individual event on Tuesday.

Zhou, 21, helped the US secure a silver medal in the team event and was set to compete in the individual short program when he was given the devastating news.

“It seems pretty unreal that of all the people, it would happen to myself,” he said in an emotional Instagram video after being told of the positive test.

Meanwhile, Deedra Irwin of Pulaski, Wisconsin, gave the best ever Olympic performance by an American in the biathlon, finishing seventh in the women’s 15km individual event at the Zhangjiakou National Biathlon Center northwest of Beijing.

1644260757

Zoi Sadowski-Synnott’ dad has F-bomb celebration on camera

Slopestyle snowboarder Zoi Sadowski-Synnott’s dad went on an F-bomb filled victory celebration at the 2022 Olympics in Beijing.

Sadowski-Synnott secured New Zealand’s first-ever gold medal at the Winter Olympics and her dad, Sean, was not holding back in his celebration when he spoke to a TV reporter.

“She was f**king crazy.”

His daughter later told Reuters that her dad had enjoyed a few adult beverages to celebrate her slopestyle snowboarding win.

“Yeah, I think really that he had a few too many drinks at that point, but you can’t really blame him, it was Waitangi Day in New Zealand (a national holiday) and his daughter just won the Olympics so..” she said.

“The last 24 hours has been a whirlwind, super-stoked to be standing here with gold around my neck.”

(AFP via Getty Images)

Graeme Massie7 February 2022 19:05

1644259841

Ryan Cochran-Siegle sixth member of family to race for Team USA

Ryan Cochran-Siegle is the sixth member of his family to race for the US Olympic Alpine Ski Team, and he will compete in Beijing 50 years after his mother, Barbara Ann, won gold in slalom at the 1972 Winter Olympics in Japan.

“I just think it’s really neat that he is at the Olympics 50 years after I was at the Olympics,” Barbara Ann Cochran told NECN.

Cochran-Siegle, who is competing in his second Olympics. grew up skiing on the slopes of in Richmond, Vermont which his grandparents originally established.

“I’ve been told I learned at the age of 2. It was a good environment, for sure, to grow up in,” he told NBC10 Boston.

The 29-year-old finished in 14th place in the men’s downhill final, and will go again in the men’s super-G on Tuesday.

(AFP via Getty Images)

Graeme Massie7 February 2022 18:50

1644258941

Deedra Irwin makes history for US in biathlon

Deedra Irwin made history for Team USA as she gave the best ever Winter Olympic performance by an American, finishing seventh in the women’s 15-kilometer individual event at the Zhangjiakou National Biathlon Center northwest of Beijing.

“I was trying to focus on just working on everything I’ve worked on this week, really skiing the course well and staying calm on the range and being ready for anything — with wind or whatever,” said Irwin, who is competing in her first Olympic Winter Games. “I had a good game plan, and I was able to execute it. Everything came together. I had no idea how I was doing, and I was just in my zone, and it worked — what the heck.”

Irwin finished the event just 1 minute and 14 seconds behind gold medalist Denise Herrmann of Germany.

Anais Chevalier-Bouchet of France won the silver medal, and Norway’s Marte Olsbu Roeiseland took home the bronze medal.

(Getty Images)

(AFP via Getty Images)

Graeme Massie7 February 2022 18:35

1644258341

Team USA skier Nina O’Brien recovering from harrowing crash near finish line of giant slalom race

Team USA skier Nina O’Brien suffered a harrowing crash while competing in the women’s giant slalom race – one of the most dangerous events at the Winter Olympics.

Ms O’Brien, 24, was on her second run in Beijing on Monday when she came in contact with the penultimate gate and careened out of control, her skis coming off as she slid across the finish line.

Onlookers held their breath as the medal contender – who was in sixth place after her first run – was carted away on a stretcher.

Megan Sheets has all the details.

Graeme Massie7 February 2022 18:25

1644257561

Shiffrin says Team USA ‘heartbroken’ for Nina O’Brien after huge giant slalom crash

O’Brien, the top American woman in the giant slalom event, crashed just before the finish line and had to be stretched off the course.

US Ski & Snowboard later took to Twitter to say that O’Brien was “alert and responsive” after the high-speed accident

Nina O’Brien is evacuated by medical staff after a bad fall in the second run of the women’s giant slalom during the Beijing 2022 Winter Olympic Games at the Yanqing National Alpine Skiing Center in Yanqing on February 7, 2022.

(AFP via Getty Images)

“We are so heartbroken for Nina… she showed so much heart and fire in her skiing today, and it all got shredded to pieces on the final turn. This sport… this sport is SO damn hard. It’s brutal, and it hurts- far more often than it ever feels good,” wrote Shiffrin on Twitter.

Graeme Massie7 February 2022 18:12

1644256661

Vincent Zhou out of individual event after positive Covid test

“That’s not just because I am still processing this turn of events, but also because I have been doing everything in my power to stay free of COVID since the start of the pandemic.

“I have taken all the precautions I can and I have isolated myself so much that the loneliness can be crushing at times.”

Graeme Massie7 February 2022 17:57

1644255972

Olympic skier Mikaela Shiffrin discusses being shaped by loss

Mikaela Shiffrin, who at 26 is perhaps the best alpine skier in American history, already has a few lifetimes worth of memorable wins under her belt as she heads into the Winter Olympics. But it is a loss she witnessed when she was a child that still sticks with her.

When she was 6 years old, the US hosted the winter games in Salt Lake City, where all-time great men’s skier Bode Miller already had two silver medals and was cruising towards a third in the slalom. All he needed was to complete a second attempt with a passable run to rack up a medal. Instead, the New Hampshire native went all guns blazing in an all-out play for gold, only to make an error on the course and lose his shot at a third podium. Miller hiked back up the mountain to finish out his run.

Josh Marcus has the story.

Graeme Massie7 February 2022 17:46