Taylor vs Serrano press conference LIVE: Latest updates as fighters and Jake Paul speak in London

<p>Katie Taylor (left) and Amanda Serrano will go head-to-head in April</p>
<p>” src=”https://static.independent.co.uk/2022/02/07/11/newFile-3.jpg?quality=75&width=982&height=726&auto=webp” srcset=”https://static.independent .co.uk/2022/02/07/11/newFile-3.jpg?quality=75&width=320&auto=webp&crop=982:726,smart 320w, https://static.independent.co.uk/2022/02/ 07/11/newFile-3.jpg?quality=75&width=640&auto=webp&crop=982:726,smart 640w”/></amp-img><figcaption class=

Katie Taylor (left) and Amanda Serrano will go head-to-head in April

(@matchroomboxing via Instagram)

The build-up to the biggest fight in women’s boxing history continues today, as Katie Taylor and Amanda Serrano speak at a press conference in London ahead of their April title clash.

Never before has a women’s fight headlined New York City’s Madison Square Garden, but that will change on 30 April when undisputed lightweight champion Taylor defends her belts against seven-weight champion Serrano. Ireland’s Taylor, an Olympic gold medalist in 2012, is undefeated as a pro (20-0, six knockouts), while Puerto Rican Serrano has amassed an impressive record of 42-1-1 (30 KOs). The pair went face-to-face at a press conference in NYC last week, and they will follow that with one in the English capital this afternoon.

Taylor’s promoter Eddie Hearn will also be present, as will YouTube star Jake Paul, who has been promoting Serrano recently while progressing with his own in-ring career. Paul was seen wearing a ‘Make Boxing Great Again’ cap as he arrived in the UK for today’s press conference. Last week, Taylor vs. Serrano became the second-highest grossing boxing presale in Madison Square Garden’s history, and the significance of the bout will likely become increasingly clear as the contest approaches.

Follow live updates from the Taylor vs. Serrano press conference in London, below.

1644244731

Taylor vs. Serrano: London press conference

That’s all from this afternoon’s press conference!

alex pattle7 February 2022 14:38

1644244488

Taylor vs. Serrano: London press conference

Who’s next for Paul to promote after Serrano?

“We’ll see,” he says. “Right now our focus is on Amanda and 30 April. We’ll see if we want to grow our roster in 2022.”

alex pattle7 February 2022 14:34

1644244410

Taylor vs. Serrano: London press conference

Serrano: “I’ve seen Katie Taylor fight in the Garden and she brings her Irish people wherever she goes!”

No advantage for Serrano in MSG, the Puerto Rican insists.

alex pattle7 February 2022 14:33

1644244260

Taylor vs. Serrano: London press conference

Serrano: “When Katie came on the scene, everybody said: ‘Have you seen that girl, the Irish girl?’

“Hello! I’ve been on the scene for years before her.”

alex pattle7 February 2022 14:31

1644244146

Taylor vs. Serrano: London press conference

Paul: “Get used to me, I’m going to be here for a while. All I’m trying to do is…” He laughs: “… make boxing great again!”

alex pattle7 February 2022 14:29

1644244114

Taylor vs. Serrano: London press conference

Is Serrano out to avenge her sister’s loss to Taylor?

“It’s not like when I beat Katie Taylor, the loss is going to come off my sister’s record. This is for my legacy.”

alex pattle7 February 2022 14:28

1644244015

Taylor vs. Serrano: London press conference

Paul on Serrano: “One of the best boxers ever, period. It doesn’t have to do with gender.”

alex pattle7 February 2022 14:26

1644243988

Taylor vs. Serrano: London press conference

Hearn: “I dipped my toe in YouTube boxing and I think that was it for me.

“I’m not just saying this because Jake is here, but I put him in a different category – especially if he fights a proper boxer, which I’m sure he will.

“Jake’s fresh, and I’m fresh enough – just – to where we want to work together to make this as big as possible. Come 30 April, we’ll be proud, we’ll shake hands and say: ‘When’s the next one?’ There’s too many people in boxing working against each other.”

alex pattle7 February 2022 14:26

1644243850

Taylor vs. Serrano: London press conference

Jake Paul on where promoting Serrano here ranks among his career achievements: “Top three for sure, 100 per cent. I was super excited to post about it. I’m excited to be a part of boxing history.”

Eddie Hearn on a rematch clause: “Only if the fight is big enough. I see this fight happening two, three times. Rematch clauses only exist if the champion loses.”

alex pattle7 February 2022 14:24

1644243753

Taylor vs. Serrano: London press conference

Serrano: “This is business, we’re in the same business. I have nothing but respect for Katie and what she’s done for this sport.

“But come 30 April when I’m in that ring, it’ll be a whole different story.”

alex pattle7 February 2022 14:22