Student who died after eating ‘cannabis gummy’ heard wailing in pain by neighbors


Damilola Olakanmi, 23, was rushed to hospital where she sadly died after eating a single ‘Trrlli Peachie O’, with shocked neighbors saying they initially thought a chemical leak was to blame

Damilola Olakanmi, 23, died several days after being rushed to a London hospital

A law student who died after eating just one suspected cannabis gummy was heard “wailing” in pain moments after eating the sweet, shocked neighbors said.

Damilola Olakanmi, 23, bought the ‘gummies’ through a messaging app and they were delivered to her home in Ilford, east London, where she fell ill last Tuesday (March 29).

She was rushed by air ambulance to Queen’s Hospital, Romford, at around 11.30pm, but died four days later on April 2.

A 21-year-old friend who was visiting from the US was also taken ill after having just one of the sweets police suspect was laced with cannabis. She has now been discharged from hospital.

Police launched an investigation, with fears a dangerous batch of the psychoactive drug branded as “Trrlli Peachie O’s” could be circulating.







Damilola was described by neighbors as “nice” and “pleasant”
(

Image:

Family Supplied)

Several aghast residents feared there had been a chemical leak after seeing the woman surrounded by paramedics in hazmat suits.

One man, who lived nearby but to remain anonymous, said: “At around midnight, I heard a girl wailing and saw her wished surrounded by emergency services in hazmat suits.

“We were led to believe that it was a chemical leak. It’s very sad she lost her life.”

Leon Brown, 37, of South Norwood, south London, was arrested on Friday and charged with possession with intent to supply Class B cannabinoid, supplying a synthetic cannabinoid and possession with intent to supply a psychoactive substance.

At Barkingside Magistrates’ Court on Monday, he appeared in the dock where he was remanded in custody to appear at Snaresbrook Crown Court next month.

Another neighbor added: “I saw the girl being taken into an ambulance at midnight.

“The community only found out the cause of death in recent days.”







A number of sweets were found at the scene
(

Image:

Getty Images/iStockphoto)

One woman who lived in the same street described her as a very “nice” and “pleasant” girl.

She said she was very shocked and saddened to hear the news, adding: “They [Damilola and her mother] were just new in the area, I heard the ambulances at around midnight and was very sad to find out who it was.”

A family nearby said that they only heard the news of her passing on Monday through word of mouth.

The woman said: “We saw an ambulance and fire brigade but were unsure of the cause until now.”

A special post-mortem examination is due to take place to ascertain the exact cause of death.

Police are also carrying out tests on sweets which were found at the scene, which had “Trrlli Peachie O’s” branding.

Detectives are urgently trying to identify any other cases where Londoners have become seriously unwell after eating cannabis sweets, gummies or similar products.







Police have urged people not to buy or consume “cannabis sweets”
(

Image:

Getty Images/iStockphoto)

Scotland Yard said officers are aware of one potentially linked case, in which a woman was taken ill at the start of last month after eating a cannabis sweet in Tower Hamlets, east London.

She was taken to hospital and later discharged, the Met Police said.

Inquiries are ongoing to establish whether this sweet was part of the batch of sweets associated with the Ilford death.

Ch Supt Stuart Bell, who polices Redbridge borough, said: “I must warn the public against taking any illegal substances, including those packaged in the form of cannabis sweets.

“Please do not buy or consume these products.

“They are illegal and, because of the child-friendly packaging, they can pose a risk of accidental consumption.

“The particular batch of sweets were contained in packaging featuring ‘Trrlli Peachie O’s’ branding.

“It has not been confirmed at this stage where the sweets were manufactured.

“Drug dealers harm communities and risk the safety of individuals.

“We will take positive action to target those engaged in this activity as well as those found in possession of these substances.”




www.mirror.co.uk

See also  Biden announces airspace closure to Russian airlines

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.