Royal lawyers ‘not ruling out action’ over latest BBC doc on Prince William and Harry


If lawyers decide the BBC has breached rules on accuracy and impartiality in addition to not giving the royals a fair right of reply, they may take action against the broadcaster

Video Loading

Video Unavailable

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle share romantic engagement photos

The Royal Family has not ruled out taking legal action against the BBC over its documentary series about Princes William and Harry’s relationship with the media.

The first instalment of “The Princes and The Press” has angered the royal households over ‘overblown and unfounded’ claims.

It accused the royal households of actively briefing against Harry and Meghan so lawyers will carefully watching the second part on Monday.

If they decide the corporation has breached rules on accuracy and impartiality in addition to not giving them a fair right of reply they may take action, Mail on Sunday reports.

Harry has complained online that the term ‘Megxit’ – which is used to describe the Sussexes’ controversial decision to quit the Royal family – was sexist and the BBC has instead swapped the phrase for ‘Sussexit’.

The documentary looks at Princes William and Harry’s relationship with the media
(

Image:

POOL/AFP via Getty Images)

The dad-of-two sad online: “The term Megxit was or is a misogynistic term, and it was created by a troll, amplified by royal correspondents, and it grew and grew into mainstream media.”

Royal aides are also claimed to be furious over allegations made by ‘pro-Sussex’ journalists in the programme.

They said the BBC failed to offer a proper right of reply against the claims.


Harry has complained online that the term ‘Megxit’ was sexist
(

Image:

Getty Images)

One of the journalists includes Omid Scobie who said that ‘negative stories’ had been leaked about Meghan Markle to ‘put her in her place’.

The co-author of “Finding Freedom” – a biography about the Sussexes – said: “There’s been rumours that a lot of the most damaging and negative stories… have come from other royal households or royal aides. From my research and reporting that’s true.”

Mr Scobie made the allegation without providing any credible evidence nor was his claims challenged by the documentary’s presenter Amol Rajan.

The first instalment has angered the royal households
(

Image:

POOL/AFP via Getty Images)

Meghan’s lawyer Jenny Afia also featured in the documentary to give counter reports that she was ‘difficult’ to work with – with the Duchess’ permission.

Ms Afia’s statement was not challenged in the programme despite Buckingham Palace launching an internal investigation into claims that Meghan had bullied staff.

The second instalment is expected to cause more upset as it includes suggestions that senior royals – including William – ‘planted’ stories about Harry’s mental health.

The second instalment is expected to cause more upset
(

Image:

Getty Images)

The couple quit the Royal family
(

Image:

AFP via Getty Images)

William, who has campaigned on mental health, is claimed to be upset at the suggestion.

It was Harry who first raised the subject of his mental health during a television interview in 2019 when he revealed he had had experienced a resurgence of mental health issues that needed ‘constant management’.

After William watched the interview he reportedly was said to be ‘concerned” about his brother’s wellbeing.

Sources have suggested any claims about Harry’s mental health were ‘planted’ are ‘categorically untrue’.

Buckingham Palace, Clarence House and Kensington Palace – the three royal households – are claimed to be in ‘lockstep’ over their reaction to the documentary.

The Mail reports that a final decision on if they will take any action will be made after the second instalment is aired.

If they do it could either be a complaint to the BBC governors or to watchdog Ofcom.

Legal action is an option but it is thought to be unlikely.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have banned the BBC from showing their Christmas carol concert amid anger over the documentary, it has been claimed.

The charity fundraiser, which is reportedly set to be hosted by the Duchess of Cambridge herself at Westminster Abbey, will be broadcast by rival ITV instead.

Buckingham Palace, Clarence House and Kensington Palace are claimed to be in ‘lockstep’
(

Image:

POOL/AFP via Getty Images)

Sources say forthcoming royal projects such as the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee are unlikely to be affected but William may rethink any future collaborations.

In a joint statement shown at the end of the first documentary, Buckingham Palace, Kensington Palace and Clarence House said: “A free, responsible and open Press is of vital importance to healthy democracy.

“However, too often overblown and unfounded claims from unknown sources are presented as facts and it is disappointing when anyone, including the BBC, gives them credibility.”

Read More

Read More




www.mirror.co.uk

See also  Pupils being sent home with laptops at Christmas in case Omicron closes schools

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.