Queen ‘regretfully’ pulls out of another royal event, Buckingham Palace confirms


Buckingham Palace has confirmed that The Queen has “regretfully” had to pull out of another royal event.

Her Majesty will no longer be attending the traditional Easter Royal Maundy church service next week.

This is not the first engagement the monarch has had to cancel recently, and in her place, Prince Charles and Camilla will attend the service, which will be held at St George’s Chapel in Windsor on Thursday.

According to The Mirror, The Queen is reportedly “regretfully unable to commit” to attend the annual service.

It is believed that the 95-year-old has been experiencing mobility issues and with the order of service being printed, she was keen for the arrangements to be confirmed to avoid any misunderstanding or the day to be overshadowed.



The Queen pictured last month during an engagement within Windsor Castle

The annual event is an important fixture in the royal calendar and will see Charles follow the ancient tradition of distributing Maundy money to community stalwarts for the first time.

The Maundy Thursday service has been canceled for the last two years due to the Covid-19 pandemic. In 2019, Princess Eugenie joined her grandmother in Windsor for the occasion.

In recent weeks, the Queen has been forced to pull out of several high profile events, including the Commonwealth Day service at Westminster Abbey.

The decision to cancel her appearance then was understood to be related to her comfort in traveling the 26-mile journey from Windsor Castle to London.

See also  Ukraine refuses to surrender besieged city of Mariupol | Russia-Ukraine war News

However, last week she did make it to her beloved husband Prince Philip’s memorial service, which was also at Westminster Abbey.

Special arrangements were put in place for the Queen’s comfort, with the service limited to 40 minutes and the monarch sitting in one of the Canada chairs but with an additional cushion.



The Queen at Prince Philip's memorial service at Westminster Abbey last week
The Queen at Prince Philip’s memorial service at Westminster Abbey last week

The difficulty for the Queen was understood to be whether the monarch would be able to walk to her seat.

However, the monarch has been carrying out engagements within her Windsor Castle home, such as virtual audiences.

Pictures released last month also showed her standing with a walking stick as she viewed a display of hand-decorated teapots and antique enamelled trinket boxes brought to her Windsor Castle home for her to see.

And one royal expert has said she believes the Queen will hold more royal engagements from her living room with people coming to see her rather than the monarch traveling to see them.

Camilla Tominey explained in a video for The Telegraph: “I think we’re going to see more of the Queen in situ, and she might get to where she needs to be in private and then be photographed on the spot.

“That being said, we had some lovely photographs last week of an audience in her own living room. That’s going to be happening more frequently now.”

The Queen’s pulling out of Thursday’s event comes just a day before the first anniversary of her Prince Philip’s death.

See also  Blairgowrie care home staff to receive pay rise and flexible working hours as reward for pandemic resilience

The Queen is believed to be at Windsor Castle and it is understood she will mark the day privately.

Get the latest celebrity gossip and telly news sent straight to your inbox. Sign up to our weekly Showbiz newsletterhere.




www.dailyrecord.co.uk

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.