Puppy accidentally overdosed at vet after syringe mix-up during routine operation


Amy Marenghi claims her six-month-old puppy, Phoebe, was left ‘dazed’ and ‘traumatized’ after she was given the wrong drug following a syringe mix-up at a vet practice

Phoebe was left 'dazed' and 'traumatized' after she was accidentally overdosed during a routing operation at a vet practice
Phoebe was left ‘dazed’ and ‘traumatized’ after she was accidentally overdosed during a routing operation at a vet practice

A furious dog owner has claimed her pet could have died after it was accidentally overdosed during a routing operation at a vet practice.

Amy Marenghi says her six-month-old puppy, Phoebe, was left “dazed” and “traumatized” after she was given the wrong drug following a syringe mix-up.

Phoebe had been taken to Vets4Pets at Glasgow Forge to be spayed on Wednesday morning when the mix-up occurred, Daily Record reports.

“When I first saw Phoebe I was in such a state of shock that I just left the vets with my mum,” Amy said. “Then it hit me that my dog ​​could have died. I was raging. They caused unnecessary trauma.

“This is not okay, this could have resulted in a very different outcome. Our pets are supposed to be in their safe hands. I don’t want this to happen to any other pet.”

Amy Marenghi was left devastated after her six-month-old puppy, Phoebe, was accidentally overdosed
(

Image:

DailyRecord)

Within hours of dropping Phoebe off, Amy received a phone call from the practice explaining that her pet had reacted to a drug and they couldn’t go ahead with the surgery.

Amy was told to come to the vet practice to pick up her puppy just after lunchtime.

“When I got there she seemed absolutely dazed and I pressed to find out what had happened,” Amy continued.

“The nurse then told me that she had accidentally been administered too much of the sedative but it was reversed as soon as they realized.

“I just wanted to get Phoebe home and I could tell that she just wasn’t herself, her eyes were really heavy and she was just cuddling into me because she was so traumatized.”

Amy was later told that Phoebe was given two drugs – one she took a reaction to and the other was too high a dose.

Amy believes Phoebe could have died as a result of the mix-up
(

Image:

DailyRecord)

The retail worker said: “I had not been told the truth. I believe that if that nurse hadn’t told me what had actually happened I would be none the wiser.

“When I asked how did this happen, they just said the nurse had picked up the wrong syringe.

“I asked if things weren’t dual controlled but they couldn’t really give me an answer.”

She added: “I said to the vet, Phoebe could have died, but her reply was just ‘but she didn’t’. He was rude, and I felt he came across like he didn’t care.

“Thankfully Phoebe started to perk up on Thursday but this incident was careless. I’m taking a complaint to an independent authority.”

Amy requested Phoebe’s medical notes but says there was nothing in the report to say there had been a mix-up with the syringes.

A Vets4Pets spokesperson said: “Pet welfare is always our number one priority and we immediately informed Ms Marenghi of the error that occurred in administering Phoebe with her pre-procedure medication.

“The mistake was quickly addressed and Phoebe received continuous monitoring throughout the day.

“We are pleased that Phoebe has recovered and are very sorry for any upset and distress this situation has caused.

“We would also like to offer reassurances that whilst we already have robust processes in place to guard against such incidents, we will conduct a full process review and implement any appropriate findings.”

Read More

Read More




www.mirror.co.uk

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *