Puppy accidentally overdosed at Glasgow vet after syringe mix-up during routine op


A six-month-old puppy was accidentally overdosed while undergoing a routine operation at a Glasgow vet practice following a syringe mix-up.

Furious dog owner Amy Marenghi claims her dog could have died due to the negligence of Vets4Pets at Glasgow Forge that left the pup “dazed” and “traumatized”.

Vets4Pets have confirmed they will now carry out a full review and will submit the incident to the Veterinary Defense System.

An online post raising awareness of the incident on Wednesday (February 9) by Amy has received nearly 400 shares from other pet owners.

Amy Marenghi with her dog Phoebe who was accidentally overdosed by a vet at Vets4Pets Glasgow Forge while undergoing surgery.
Pug owner Amy Marenghi with her dog Phoebe who was accidentally overdosed by a vet at Vets4Pets Glasgow Forge while undergoing surgery.

Amy told the Record: “When I first saw Phoebe I was in such a state of shock that I just left the vets with my mum.

“Then it hit me that my dog ​​could have died. I was raging.

“They caused unnecessary trauma.

“This is not okay, this could have resulted in a very different outcome. Our pets are supposed to be in their safe hands.

“I don’t want this to happen to any other pet.”

Phoebe who was accidentally overdosed by a vet at Vets4Pets Glasgow Forge while undergoing surgery - when she returned home dazed.
Phoebe who was accidentally overdosed by a vet at Vets4Pets Glasgow Forge while undergoing surgery – when she returned home dazed.

Phoebe had been taken to Vets4Pets to be spayed on Wednesday morning.

At lunchtime Amy received a phone call to say Phoebe had reacted to a drug and they couldn’t go ahead with the surgery, but she could be taken home that afternoon.

“When I got there she seemed absolutely dazed and I pressed to find out what had happened,” Amy continued.

“The nurse then told me that she had accidentally been administered too much of the sedative but it was reversed as soon as they realized.

“I just wanted to get Phoebe home and I could tell that she just wasn’t herself, her eyes were really heavy and she was just cuddling into me because she was so traumatized.”

Amy received a phone call from the practice later that evening and found out that Phoebe was given two drugs – one she took a reaction to and the other was too high a dose.

The retail worker added: “I had not been told the truth. I believe that if that nurse hadn’t told me what had actually happened I would be none the wiser.

“When I asked how did this happen, they just said the nurse had picked up the wrong syringe.

“I asked if things weren’t dual controlled but they couldn’t really give me an answer.”

Phoebe who was accidentally overdosed by a vet at Vets4Pets Glasgow Forge while undergoing surgery - as her normal self, full of life.
Phoebe who was accidentally overdosed by a vet at Vets4Pets Glasgow Forge while undergoing surgery – as her normal self, full of life.

Amy requested Phoebe’s medical notes but there was nothing in the report to say there had been a mix-up with the syringes.

A senior vet at the clinic told Amy she would have to make an official complaint to Vets4Home.

Heartbroken Amy continued: “I said to the vet, Phoebe could have died, but her reply was just ‘but she didn’t’.

“He was rude, and I felt he came across like he didn’t care.

“Thankfully Phoebe started to perk up on Thursday but this incident was careless.

“I’m taking a complaint to an independent authority.”

A Vets4Pets spokesperson said: “Pet welfare is always our number one priority and we immediately informed Ms Marenghi of the error that occurred in administering Phoebe with her pre-procedure medication.

“The mistake was quickly addressed and Phoebe received continuous monitoring throughout the day.

“We are pleased that Phoebe has recovered and are very sorry for any upset and distress this situation has caused.

“We would also like to offer reassurances that whilst we already have robust processes in place to guard against such incidents, we will conduct a full process review and implement any appropriate findings.”

Don’t miss the latest news from around Scotland and beyond – Sign up to our daily newsletter here.




www.dailyrecord.co.uk

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *