The prestigious Tusk Conservation Awards returned tonight in London as a face-to-face event after last year’s show was held virtually because of the Covid-19 pandemic
Prince William was beaming tonight as he arrived in London to announce the winners of the Tusk Conservation Awards.
The Duke of Cambridge, 39, arrived at BFI Southbank in London this evening to celebrate Africa’s leading wildlife protectors.
The prestigious Tusk Awards, hosted by Kate Silverton, returned tonight as a face-to-face event after last year’s show was held virtually because of the Covid-19 pandemic.
Prince William launched the annual ceremony in 2013 to highlight and celebrate the achievements of Africa’s unsung heroes who lead conservation efforts.
The Duke presented each winner with their awards before making a speech. He will then attend a reception with key members and supporters of the Tusk Trust.
Get our daily newsletter for the latest news on the Queen, Charles, Kate, Wills, Meghan, Harry and the rest of The Firm. Click here to sign up
The Duke will also speak to tonight’s winners to hear more about their work on the frontline of conservation efforts in Africa.
Prince William, who is a Royal Patron of Tusk Trust, has taken part in the annual awards several times and last year recorded a video message congratulating the winners.
There are three awards given out.
The first one is the Prince William Award for Conservation in Africa and is given to a distinguished individual for their outstanding dedication and exceptional contribution to conservation in Africa.
Three finalists are chosen each year for the Tusk Award for Conservation in Africa, which recognises an emerging leader in conservation whose work.
And one winner is chosen each year for the Tusk Wildlife Ranger Award and it recognises the dedication and bravery of rangers working to protect Africa’s increasingly endangered wildlife.
Tonight’s award ceremony comes as the Queen is said to be ‘upset’ over a new BBC documentary about alleged warring between members of the Royal Family.
The Palace is reportedly angry with the corporation who is said to have refused to let it watch The Princes And The Press before it is aired on BBC2 on Monday.
It is claimed the programme will hint that William and Harry – or their advisers – planted smears against each other in the media.
According to the Mail on Sunday the Palace has warned it will no longer co-operate with future BBC projects unless it is given a right to respond.