Prince Harry’s Invictus Games involvement – who founded it and why?


The Invictus Games are set to begin on Saturday, April 16. Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will be attending, having just made an unexpected stop in the UK to visit the Queen and Prince Charles

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will attend the Invictus Games in 2022

The Invictus Games have been held four times since its debut in 2014.

It is an international sporting event for “wounded, injured and sick servicemen and women” and will be held at the Hague in the Netherlands in 2022.

It will run from April 16 to April 22 after being postponed by the pandemic.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will be in attendance as it is an event they have close ties to since its debut in 2014.

Harry, the Duke of Sussex, has close links to the games having founded it in 2014, and this year is set to be one of the biggest yet.

In a surprise move, the Duke and Duchess made a surprise journey to the UK to visit the Queen and Prince Charles – the first time they’d all been in the same room since early 2020.

Why is Prince Harry attending the Invictus Games?







Prince Harry and Meghan Markle at the 2018 Invictus Games
(

Image:

Getty Images for the Invictus Games Foundation)

The Invictus Games has always been close to Prince Harry’s heart.

In fact, Harry and Meghan made their relationship debut at the games back in 2017.

Harry is also a founding patron of the Invictus Games Foundation.

The foundation is teaming up with the mental health firm BetterUp this year, of which Harry is the chief impact officer.

In a statement, the Duke said: “At its heart, the Invictus Games is about empowering every single person around the world.

“It’s a worldwide display of resilience, determination, and community for which each of us can draw inspiration.

“I couldn’t think of a better new partner for the Invictus Games Foundation than the mental fitness platform BetterUp.

“The mind is like a muscle: it needs to be honed, trained, rehabbed, and coached. The men and women I served with understand this, the Invictus community knows this, and now the world is beginning to see it too.







Prince Harry is a founding patron of the Invictus Games
(

Image:

GettyImages)

“I’m honored to bring the work we do at BetterUp to Invictus and look forward to expanding the support systems that service members and veterans depend on to achieve remarkable feats.”

However, this year Harry will be doing more than just showing his support from the sidelines.

Is Prince Harry’s Netflix series about the Invictus Games?

Netflix previously confirmed that Harry and Meghan would be producing multiple projects for the steaming platform.

The first of which is called Heart of Invictus and will follow the events of the 2022 games at the Hague.

Specifically, it will follow a group of competitors training to compete at the Hague, with Harry set to make an appearance in the docu-series.

In a statement with Netflix, Harry said: “Since the very first Invictus Games back in 2014, we knew that each competitor would contribute in their own exceptional way to a mosaic of resilience, determination, and resolve.”

“This series will give communities around the world a window into the moving and uplifting stories of these competitors on their path to the Netherlands next year.”

Why is it difficult for Prince Harry to visit the UK?







Prince Harry and Meghan Markle made their relationship debut at Invictus in 2017
(

Image:

PA)

Despite just landing in the UK to visit the Queen, over the past year Harry has made it clear that trips home are harder than they used to be, thanks to an ongoing feud with members of his family.

He previously returned to England in July 2021 for the unveiling of Princess Diana’s memorial statue, and before that for his grandfather Prince Philip’s funeral.

Despite reports that Harry and Meghan were keen to come to the UK with their children, Archie and Lilibet, a representative for the couple previously said they are “unable to return” for security concerns.

His legal team told the High Court earlier this year that the Duke of Sussex “does not feel safe” in the UK.

The 37-year-old’s legal representative, QC Shaheed Fatima, said at a hearing: “This claim is about the fact that the Duke does not feel safe when he is in the UK given the security arrangements applied to him in June 2021 and will continue to be applied if you decide to come back.

“It goes without saying that he does want to come back to see family and friends and to continue to support the charities that are so close to his heart.

“This is and always will be his home.”

The couple are yet to make a statement about their latest visit.

Read More

Read More




www.mirror.co.uk

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *