The Duke of Sussex might be planning to miss the Queen’s Jubilee celebrations after it was announced he has been put down for a polo tournament that is taking place at the same time
Image: Tim Rooke/REX)
Prince Harry may skip the Queen’s Jubilee celebrations as his name has been put down to play in a polo tournament around the same time, claim reports.
The Duke of Sussex played a polo match at the Santa Barbara Polo and Racquet Club last week and on Wednesday it was announced that he will continue with his Los Padres teammates until mid-June.
It has sparked controversy as the schedule coincides with many Jubilee activities, reported by the Express.
Last week he played in the annual Harry East Memorial Tournament in Montecito, where the Sussexes live.
And Harry is set to join Nacho Figueras, Juan Guerrero and Keko Magrini to play the entire 12 goal polo season in Santa Barbara.
Tim Graham Photo Library via Getty Images)
But the Cheval-Athletics USPA Intra-Circuit begins the same weekend as the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee gets under way.
Royal blogger Gert’s Royals points out the timing appears to show that Harry won’t be returning to the UK to join his family on Buckingham Palace’s balcony.
In a tweet, she wrote: “The Cheval Athletics USPA Intra-Circuit starts the same weekend as the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Events, so I guess the Sussexes have made up their mind about attending that.”
Trooping the Colour, also known as the Queen’s birthday parade, sees over 1,400 parading soldiers, 200 horses and 400 musicians coming together.
The event sees the parade begin at the Palace before moving down The Mall towards Horse Guard’s Parade, where they will be joined by members of the Royal Family on horseback and in carriages.
It will conclude with a traditional RAF fly-past, watched by the Queen and members of the Royal Family from the Buckingham Palace balcony.
It takes place on June 2, just one day prior to Harry’s last polo leg beginning in Montecito.
In response to the news, royal fans speculated on social media that the Duke’s calendar would be “booked and busy” so slotting in a trip to the UK may pose tricky.
One wrote: “Goodbye jubly. #PrinceHarry is booked and busy!”
Another said: “Now we know that Harry will not be on the balcony.”
Prince Harry and his three teammates won their first tournament 17-10.
Nacho Figueras, a long-term friend of the Duke’s, said he was very pleased with the results of the game.
He told CLICKPOLO: “I think we had a good game and we improved from our previous match where we still didn’t know each other and we were a little bit anxious.”
George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.