Prince Andrew will reportedly accompany his mum to the Epsom Derby on the Platinum Jubilee weekend this year, months after a court case with Virginia Giuffre was settled
Scandal mired Prince Andrew will accompany the Queen to the Derby on the weekend of her Platinum Jubilee, it has been reported.
The Duke of York, who settled a sex abuse case with Virginia Giuffre earlier this year, was named in a separate court case this week.
Andrew has been featured in evidence given to a judge overseeing a High Court financial dispute between an elderly Turkish woman and a former banker.
It has now been reported that the 62-year-old is in line to chaperone the Queen to Epsom races in June.
A source told the Sun: “He was meant to stay invisible during the Platinum Jubilee so there is no way he will be at events like Trooping the Colour.
“But the Queen needs a chaperone on all occasions at the moment due to her mobility issues and Andrew has earmarked the Derby as the one he will accompany her at.
“He just doesn’t seem to understand the public outcry.”
Prince Andrew’s role in the royal family has come into question following the end of the civil suit brought by Ms Giuffre earlier this year.
He made no admission of guilt but settled the case for an undisclosed sum, understood to be £12m.
The settlement came in the months after he returned his military titles and royal patronages to the Queen.
Amid such acrimony Andrew accompanied his mother to a memorial service for Prince Philip at Westminster Abbey this week.
Prince Charles and nephew Prince William are said to have made their displeasure about the role Andrew played clear to the Queen.
They did not want Andrew to be the one to accompany Her Majesty into the service on Tuesday, and reportedly spoke to her more than once to raise their concerns.
The Queen went ahead and her so-called favorite son was the one seen across the world helping her along the aisle at Westminster Abbey, as the service was broadcast live on the BBC.
The two heirs to the throne were said to have been “shocked” and dismayed” as Andrew emerged front and center.
A source close to the Palace told the Mirror: “[Andrew] was straight out the blocks in front of the cameras when the Duke of Edinburgh died, which was seen within the family as being completely inappropriate.
“Now this situation has unfolded, a fair few hold the view that he is manipulating his position for his own gains.”
Vanity Fair’s Royal Editor Katie Nicholl said the Queen deliberately chose to have Andrew play such a prominent role on the day and shows the public she still ‘makes the decisions’.
Katie Nicholl said: “This was the Queen’s way of showing two things; one, that the buck stops with her, and she makes the decisions, and secondly that she believes he’s innocent. She made the point very, very clearly.
“But Charles and William were very aware of the perspective, of the optics of this.
“Unfortunately, this picture [of Prince Andrew escorting the Queen] you have overtaken what should have been a memorial to a great man.”
Andrew has spent a considerable amount of time with the ailing 95-year-old monarch, who has suffered from a series of health problems in recent months as well as recovering from Covid.
The Duke of York, who lives on the Windsor estate, has also been ever present at his mother’s Windsor Castle home after the death of her beloved husband Prince Philip, who died last April aged 99.
George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.