Prince Andrew dealt bitter blow as judge denies bid to halt Virginia Giuffre’s lawsuit


Jeffrey Epstein’s alleged sex slave Virginia Giuffre claims Prince Andrew sexually assaulted her when she was a teenager, although the royal vehemently denies her claims

Prince Andrew is facing a civil case in the US over his alleged sexual assault of Virginia Giuffre
Prince Andrew is facing a civil case in the US over his alleged sexual assault of Virginia Giuffre

Prince Andrew has been dealt a bitter blow in his sex abuse lawsuit after a judge threw out his bid to halt proceedings.

Earlier this week the Prince’s legal team argued the US court had no jurisdiction over the royal or his accuser as both lived outside of the US.

The Duke of York’s lawyers wanted Jeffrey Epstein’s alleged ‘teen sex slave’ Virginia Giuffre to sit for a two-hour deposition to discuss where she was ‘domiciled’ as she now lives in Perth, Australia.

However, District Judge Lewis Kaplan threw out the attempt saying the case could continue.

The Duke has been asked to produce key documents in support of his alibi he did not have sex with his American accuser – including confirmation he did not sweat.

Ms Giuffre alleges Prince Andrew had sex with her when she was trafficked as a teen, although the royal vehemently denies her claims.

The royal pictured next to Ms Giuffre and Ghislaine Maxwell

Her legal team has requested a wealth of information from Andrew’s lawyers as they probe his BBC Newsnight interview when he said he was visiting a Pizza Express on the day of the claimed sexual encounter.

Her lawyers have also requested travel documents detailing Andrew’s movements on Epstein’s planes and to his various homes, the Duke’s visit to Pizza Express in Woking and London’s Tramp nightclub where Ms Giuffre alleges she danced with a heavily sweating Andrew before they had sex.

Maxwell, 60, was convicted in America on Wednesday of helping to entice vulnerable teenagers to the properties of Epstein, her former boyfriend, for him to sexually abuse between 1994 and 2004.

She was labelled “dangerous” by the prosecution and faces the rest of her life in jail, and her friendship with Andrew has seen renewed scrutiny of Ms Giuffre’s civil claim for damages against the Duke.

Judge Lewis Kaplan has rejected Prince Andrew’s bid to halt the case
(

Image:

Richard Baker / University of Rochester)

Andrew’s legal team have rejected the requests for the documents citing various reasons, including the information is protected from disclosure by rights of privacy under the US constitution and Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights.

His lawyers also state in papers filed to a New York court, the documents requested are already publicly available or the requests are “unduly burdensome, oppressive… duplicative and over broad”.

The Duke was photographed, for the first time since Maxwell’s conviction, driving himself in a Range Rover towards Windsor Castle on Friday lunchtime.

Andrew’s much anticipated appearance on BBC’s Newsnight in November 2019 was an attempt to defend his reputation in the wake of the Epstein sex scandal, but he opened himself up to further accusations with critics saying he failed to show remorse for the financier’s victims.

Ms Giuffre claims Prince Andrew had sex with her when she was trafficked as a teen
(

Image:

BBC/AFP via Getty Images)

The Duke denied he slept with Ms Giuffre on three separate occasions when questioned by Newsnight presenter Emily Maitlis, saying one encounter did not happen as he had taken his daughter Princess Beatrice to Pizza Express in Woking for a party and they spent the rest of the day together.

The same sexual encounter, which the American said began with the royal sweating heavily as they danced at Tramp nightclub, was factually wrong, the Duke said, as he had a medical condition at the time which meant he did not sweat.

Ms Giuffre has alleged in the past she had sex with Andrew in London and New York when she was aged 17, a minor under US law, and again aged 18 on a private Caribbean island owned by Epstein where an orgy took place.

Maxwell has been found guilty of child sex trafficking and faces up to 65 years in jail
(

Image:

SDNY/ZUMA Press Wire/REX/Shutterstock)

Get all the latest news sent to your inbox. Sign up for the free Mirror newsletter

In response to the decision not to provide information, Ms Giuffre’s legal team said in court documents: “If Prince Andrew truly has no documents concerning his communications with Maxwell or Epstein, his travel to Florida, New York, or various locations in London, his alleged medical inability to sweat, or anything that would support the alibis he gave during his BBC interview, then continuing with discovery will not be burdensome to him at all.”

Maxwell’s brother Ian Maxwell told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme his sibling’s trial was not fair and he thinks her appeal against the verdict will succeed.

Pressed on whether the women who testified against his sister were lying, he replied: “Of course, the prosecution didn’t put into evidence the prior interviews they had with these accusers, which showed a completely different case.

“Memory is faulty, and so, in my view, the trial that has occurred was not a fair trial from Ghislaine’s perspective. And that is why she’s going to appeal, and I think she’ll be successful.”




www.mirror.co.uk

See also  ITV's Lorraine Kelly slams 'ridiculous' Wagatha Christie trial and says it should 'never have went to court'

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.