Virginia Giuffre has said she is determined to show that the ‘rich and powerful are not above the law’, with her plans to seek justice against ‘those who hurt me and so many others’
Image: COURT HANDOUT)
Prince Andrew’s sex abuse accuser has vowed to “continue to expose the truth” after a US judge said her case against the Duke can proceed.
Virginia Giuffre has said she is determined to show that the “rich and powerful are not above the law” and to seek justice against “those who hurt me and so many others”.
Judge Lewis Kaplan threw out efforts by Andrew’s legal team to have the civil case against him dismissed in a bombshell ruling on Wednesday.
Ms Giuffre claims she was forced by paedophile Jeffrey Epstein to have sex with the Duke three times. She claims to have been trafficked by Epstein and his ex-partner Ghislaine Maxwell.
Andrew vehemently denies any wrongdoing.
Yesterday it was announced that the Duke had been stripped of his royal titles and ordered to hand back all 12 of his military affiliations.
It means Andrew can no longer use the title His Royal Highness in any official capacity, and will fight the case as a private citizen.
Last night Ms Giuffre, 38, posted on Twitter : “I’m pleased with Judge Kaplan’s ruling yesterday that allows my case against Prince Andrew to go forward.
“I’m glad I will have the chance to continue to expose the truth and I am deeply grateful to my extraordinary legal team.
“Their determination helps me seek justice from those who hurt me and so many others. My goal has always been to show that the rich and powerful are not above the law and must be held accountable
“I do not walk this path alone, but alongside countless other survivors of sexual abuse and trafficking.”
Speculation has mounted that the Duke may attempt to settle the case, although Ms Giuffre is said to be determined for a court showdown.
“I think Virginia is determined to go to trial, but settlement is always a possibility,” Ms Giuffre’s lawyer David Boies told The Sun.
The Duke of York now faces being deposed, during which he could be asked intimate questions under oath about his marriage, sex life and body.
The bombshell increases speculation on who else Ms Giuffre’s legal team could depose. Andrew’s ex-wife the Duchess of York, his daughters, Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie, and even the Duchess of Sussex are known to have been discussed.
Unless Andrew finds further grounds to dismiss the lawsuit, he could face a trial date between September and December this year.
Ms Giuffre’s civil case will now go to the “discovery” phase, during which both sets of lawyers will exchange information about the witnesses and evidence they would present at trial.
This includes depositions – out-of-court statements given under oath in the form of written transcripts, videotapes, or both.
Andrew will remain a Prince and a Duke, and hold on to his ninth place in the line of succession to the throne. It is understood he will keep his security detail paid for by the taxpayer.
In an announcement yesterday afternoon, Buckingham Palace said: “With the Queen’s approval and agreement, The Duke of York’s military affiliations and royal patronages have been returned to the Queen.
“He will continue not to undertake any public duties and is defending this case as a private citizen.”
George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.