‘Prank’ video with Defense Secretary emerges after UK blames Kremlin for hoaxes

[ad_1]

Ministers are bracing themselves for more videos to emerge after a ‘prank’ call with Defense Secretary Ben Wallace surfaced online in the wake of Britain blaming Vladimir Putin’s Russia for attempted hoaxes. Downing Street accused the Kremlin of being behind the efforts to secure sensitive or embarrassing information in duplicitous calls ahead of the first footage being published on Monday evening.

Officials were understood to be lobbying YouTube to remove the video of Mr Wallace, who thought he was talking to Ukrainian prime minister Denys Shmyhal on a video call.

In the video clip, Mr Wallace is seen speaking from what appears to be a car through earphones. Home Secretary Priti Patel has also acknowledged having spoken to imposters, while an unsuccessful attempt targeted Culture Secretary Nadine Dorries.

An ‘official teaser’ of the call with Mr Wallace appeared online claiming it was a ‘video-prank’ with ‘Vovan and Lexus’, a pair previously attributed to a hoax aimed at the Duke of Sussex.



He was speaking from Poland, to where thousands have fled Ukraine

Mr Wallace is shown speaking from Poland as the caller says Ukraine wants to progress a ‘nuclear programme’ to protect itself from Moscow, a claim Russian state media has baselessly claimed in the past. As the call was published, Mr Wallace suggested the invasion of Ukraine ‘must be going so badly for the Kremlin’ if it was resorting to ‘video fakes’.

A Ministry of Defense source said the video was ‘garbage’, adding: “It’s a doctored clip. “What you don’t hear is the Defense Secretary also saying that the UK can’t have anything to do with alleged Ukrainian nuclear ambitions, because the UK is committed to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons.”

See also  The girls saw their father's toes sticking out of a shallow grave with 'hands severed'

Mr Wallace did not appear to say anything particularly embarrassing or sensitive in the video, but it did tout a ‘full interview’ within ‘a few days’. Lexus and Vovan have previously targeted Sir Elton John, a vocal opponent of Russia’s ‘gay propaganda’ laws, critics of the Kremlin and world leaders including Canada’s Justin Trudeau.

Critics have accused the pair, real names Vladimir Kuznetsov and Alexei Stolyarov, of having links to Russian security services, something they deny. Mr Wallace said at the time of the incident last week he believed Russia was to blame and Downing Street has now publicly pointed the finger at the Kremlin.

The Prime Minister’s official spokesman said: “The Russian state was responsible for the hoax telephone calls made to UK ministers last week.



A Russian missile strike on a Kyiv mall

This is standard practice for Russian information operations and disinformation is a tactic straight from the Kremlin playbook to try to distract from their illegal activities in Ukraine and the human rights abuses being committed there. “We are seeing a string of distraction stories and outright lies from the Kremlin, reflecting Putin’s desperation from him as he seeks to hide the scale of the conflict and Russia’s failings on the battlefield.”

Senior Government sources feared the Russians may attempt to doctor footage obtained in the calls in an attempt to embarrass the UK. Mr Wallace publicly acknowledged he had been targeted shortly after his call on Thursday in an attempt to get ahead of any attempt by Moscow to circulate footage from it.

See also  Boris Johnson, from charismatic leader to political ballast

He also launched a cross-Whitehall investigation to understand how he ended up on the video call. Meanwhile, Boris Johnson hinted at more military support to Ukraine following a call with Joe Biden and other allies ahead of a summit meeting of Nato leaders on Thursday.

The Prime Minister discussed his ‘horror’ at the Russian president’s use of ‘increasingly brutal tactics’ in Ukraine, including siege warfare and targeting civilians. Downing Street said the leaders – also including France’s Emmanuel Macron, Germany’s Olaf Scholz and Italy’s Mario Draghi – affirmed their commitment to ‘equipping the democratically-elected government in Kyiv with the tools it needs to defend itself’.

With the US president set to attend the Nato summit in Brussels, No 10 said Mr Johnson looked forward to discussing ‘how to increase military support to Ukraine to qualitatively improve their defensive capability’.

Sign up to the MEN email newsletters to get the latest on sport, news, what’s on and more by following this link



[ad_2]
www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.