Pet owner’s warning after her French bulldog nearly died from ‘reverse sneeze’


Adele O’Brien, from Biggar, South Lanarkshire, has told how her dog Ernie nearly chocked to death from a “reverse sneeze” while eating his dinner and was saved by a vet

Ernie almost choked to death after a reverse sneeze

An owner of a French bulldog has told how her pet froze and his “ribs popped out” as he choked after suffering a reverse sneeze while eating.

Adele O’Brien, from Biggar, South Lanarkshire, has warned other owners of flat-faced dog breeds of the dangers when they eat and inhale air quickly rather than exhaling as they would with a normal sneeze.

Her dog Ernie experienced paroxysmal respiration, or reverse sneezing, and began “screaming, whooping and gargling” as he choked, reported the Daily Record.

The reverse sneeze, which lasts seconds, is common among flat-faced dogs like Ernie and is usually not dangerous, but if it happens while eating, dogs can choke and it can prove fatal.

Ernie’s usual Monday night dinner of dried kibble and shredded beef got stuck in his windpipe and throat. His ribs then “popped out” and he began drooling, said Adele.







Adele has now warned other dog owners of the dangers of inhaling while eating
(

Image:

Daily Record WS)







A reverse sneeze, which lasts seconds, is common among flat-faced dogs
(

Image:

Daily Record WS)

The 38-year-old told the Record: “French Bulldogs have an elongated palette so are more susceptible to choking. For this reason I always watch him when he’s eating.

“I heard him wheezing and realized it was a reverse sneeze which isn’t usually an issue.

“But then he started screaming and making whooping noises and gargling. His body froze and his ears shot back, he couldn’t move.”

In a bid to dislodge the food Adele tried massaging under Ernie’s neck.

“I pushed between his rib cage and abdomen to try to get things moving and I heard a whistling sound, as if there was trapped air,” she said.

“He was close to collapsing. I knew this wouldn’t fix itself.”

Adele rushed Ernie to ARMAC Vets Ltd where an “amazing” out-of-hours vet who “gently manipulated” his body, allowing him to vomit which saved his life.

After a quick anti-inflammatory injection, Ernie was safe to go home but Adele is now on high alert in case her treasured pup chokes again.

“Ernie could have died, we’re so lucky the vet was only five minutes away,” she continued.

“When you’re careful, you don’t expect your dog to choke. Your dog is like your precious baby. In the moment I tried to stay calm but choking can be fatal, it was terrifying.

“It’s important owners know about reverse sneezing and what to do if your dog does choke. It could be a matter or life or death.”

Kirstyn Reive, of ARMAC Vets in Biggar, explained that most dogs are able to stop themselves from reverse sneezing but that some breeds are more susceptible.

She told the Daily Record: “Instead of expelling air out of the nose like a normal sneeze, a reverse sneeze sees air drawn into the dog’s nose and it makes a loud noise.







Ernie was rushed to a vet where his body was “gently manipulated”
(

Image:

Daily Record WS)

“Most cases require no treatment and the dog will stop itself. But if it doesn’t, owners should keep their dog calm and stroke their neck.

“Ernie choked because he reverse sneezed while eating so he inhaled some food. He is a brachycephalic breed and has an elongated soft palate which makes him more prone.”

The vet issued choking warning signs to look out for, saying: “If your dog is making an unusually loud noise, drooling or struggling for breath, you should contact your vet as soon as possible.

“You can attempt to clear the blockage from their throat but be careful not to be bitten. In extreme circumstances, we would have to sedate or anaesthetise an animal to remove the object it is choking on.

“Owners should avoid feeding large items to their dogs and try not to let them gulp their food down too quickly.”

Read More

Read More




www.mirror.co.uk

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *