Perth school pupil suffers serious burns after aerosol can is set on fire


A Perth school pupil suffered serious burns after an aerosol can was set on fire.

The incident, involving a Perth Academy student, happened outside school grounds at a nearby reservoir.

The school has now written to parents to warn about the “misuse” of aerosol cans and lighters and urged them to check their children’s bags to make sure they are not brought to school.

Perth Academy head teacher Eleanor Paul has said school staff have previously had to confiscate such items twice “from pupils who were attempting to misuse them”.

The incident happened at lunchtime on Thursday, March 24.

On Friday, March 25 the head teacher wrote to parents and said: “Yesterday, one of our junior pupils suffered significant burns caused by the misuse of an aerosol canister.

“This happened off site in the nearby reservoir at lunchtime.

“There have been two other instances recently where we have removed deodorant cans and lighters from pupils who were attempting to misuse them.

“Please check your child’s belongings before they come to school and ensure they are not bringing these items to school.

“If your child routinely carries deodorant they should switch to roll-on or solid options instead please.”



Pupils have been warned about the “misuse” of aerosol cans

She added: “The vast majority of our young people act safely and responsibly however I am sure you will agree that we would not want any other young person or their family to have to experience something similar and so I would ask for your full support in this new rule.

“I would also ask that with their safety in mind you encourage your child to remain on campus at lunchtimes.”

Local councilors have wished the pupil a speedy recovery and welcomed the “decisive action” taken by the head teacher in response.

Conservative councilor Caroline Shiers said: “I fully support the letter from Mrs Paul. I wish the young person a speedy recovery and hope that this incident might highlight the dangers of this activity.

“I would encourage parents to have a discussion with their young people and to encourage them to be aware of the dangers that this type of behavior can bring.”

Perth City South SNP councilor Sheila McCole said: “This is a very distressing incident for the young person involved and their family, and I wish the pupil involved a speedy recovery.

“Although this accident happened off-site from the school grounds I welcome the decisive action taken by the head teacher, Mrs Paul, to alert all pupils and parents to the risk associated with aerosol containers and open flames. The pupils I meet are invariably responsible young people who I’m confident will respond accordingly to the letter from their head teacher.”

Lib Dem Perth City South councilor Liz Barrett said: “I am deeply shocked by the irresponsible and dangerous actions of a very small minority of pupils, and I completely agree with the prompt action by the head teacher. I also hope that the pupil involved makes a speedy recovery.”

A spokesperson for Perth and Kinross Council said it would be inappropriate for the council to comment on individual pupils.




www.dailyrecord.co.uk

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *