Pensioner left in month-long coma after catching deadly disease on Jet2 holiday

[ad_1]

A pensioner was left in a month-long coma after catching a deadly disease while on a Jet2 holiday to Benidorm.

David Marshall, 79, was diagnosed with legionnaires disease, a severe form of pneumonia, which he says may have been caused by a broken air conditioning unit in his hotel room.

The retired union official added it is possible he may not recover from the illness, Manchester Evening News reports.

He and his wife Dorothy had flown out to the Spanish beach resort with their daughter-in-law for a “much-needed break”.

However upon their arrival, the trio were informed that it was only a “skeleton staff” at the hotel due to low occupancy, with David later discovering a fan in his room that was noisy and leaking water.

He later experienced confusion, a productive cough, shortness of breath, kidney pains, diarrhea and vomiting.

And when he finally made it back to England, he was rushed to hospital in an ambulance, where he was put into a coma for a month.

David said he has been suffering long-term health issues since the holiday and has instructed a legal team to investigate how his illness had “changed his life”.

He said: “This holiday was meant to be a much-needed break after what had been a difficult time during lockdown. However it turned into a nightmare.

“My family were scared that I wouldn’t survive. It saddens me that they were put through such an ordeal while I was in a coma.”



David had booked the Jet2 holiday with his wife for a 'much needed break'.
David had booked the Jet2 holiday with his wife for a ‘much needed break’.

David set off for the two-week getaway at the four-star Hotel Presidente in Benidorm on July 21, 2020, which was booked through Jet2 Holidays.

See also  Who is Toby Collyer? Brighton youngster in profile as Manchester United close in on signing

But he became unwell during the second week of his trip, after he claims he noticed that the air conditioning unit in his room was noisy and dripped fluid.

Jennifer Hodgson, the specialist international serious injury lawyer at Irwin Mitchell, representing David, said air conditioning units are often responsible for the viral illness.

She said: “Legionnaires’ Disease can lead to long-term illness and sadly can even prove fatal.

“Water systems and air conditioning units, that have lain dormant for several months, can be ideal breeding grounds for the bacteria, which causes the disease.”

When David returned to the UK, he was taken to the emergency unit of Blackburn hospital, where he was diagnosed with Legionella Pneumonia and placed in a coma for a month.

I have spent a total of six weeks in hospital and continues to suffer from breathlessness, while also losing over four stone in weight.

David said: “I was so unwell towards the end of the holiday, and I was desperate to get home before it was too late. I’m lucky to still be here, but I want to find out how this happened.

“I’ve never been the same since the illness. It’s changed my life. My memory isn’t what it was and I’m now easily out of breath. However, in a way I know I’m lucky, as things could have been much worse.”



Benidorm, Spain is a popular holiday location for Brits
Benidorm, Spain is a popular holiday location for Brits

He added: “Right now, I’m taking one day at a time, but it’s devastating to think I might not make a full recovery and that my health might be permanently damaged.

See also  Millionaire's row devastated at plans for 27ft-high wall to stop posh resort flooding

“I think answers are the least that I deserve and more people need to be aware of the risks of Legionnaires’, and that it is still a very real danger.”

David has told his legal team that he believes that the hotel had re-opened just days before he arrived, after being closed for several months due to the Covid-19 pandemic. And Jennifer Hodgson agreed that David’s “terrible experience” should be investigated further.

She said: “David has undergone a terrible experience and unfortunately he is still living with various health issues following his illness.

“This includes suffering with memory loss and breathlessness. We have supported many people who have developed Legionnaires’ disease, both abroad and in the UK, and know only too well how dangerous the health implications of this disease can be.

“We’re now investigating how David contracted his illness, which includes looking into his stay at the Hotel Presidente and are determined to provide him with the answers and ongoing support that he needs.

“As part of our work and to assist with our investigations, we would be keen to hear from anyone else who may also have been affected by illness whilst staying at the Hotel Presidente, Benidorm.

“Following an outbreak of Legionnaires’ disease, it’s vital that the source is identified as soon as possible. If any members of the public start experiencing any symptoms, it’s crucial that they seek immediate medical advice.”

A Jet2 andJet2holidays spokesperson said: “We are sorry to hear about Mr Marshall’s experience and we wish him a full recovery. As lawyers have been instructed, it would be inappropriate for us to make any further comment at this time.”

See also  Ralf Rangnick makes Manchester United transfer admission

Don’t miss the latest news from around Scotland and beyond – Sign up to our daily newsletter here.



[ad_2]
www.dailyrecord.co.uk

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.