Parents fury as school ‘refuse to get rid of dog’ despite daughter’s allergies

Irene Ivanyk was left confused when her six-year-old daughter came home from school choking – however, later found out her daughter had been in contact with a dog adopted by the school despite her serious animal allergy

Parents Mark Gordon, 53, and Irena Ivanyk, 44, have pleaded with the school to remove the pet, Mitzi, as its hair severely impacts Yana's health.
Parents Mark Gordon, 53, and Irena Ivanyk, 44, have pleaded with the school to remove the pet

A mum and dad say they have been left furious after their daughter’s school refused to get rid of its dog, despite allergy concerns.

Parents Mark Gordon, 53, and Irena Ivanyk, 44, have argued with The Mead school to remove the pet, for their daughter, Yana’s, health.

The six-year-old was diagnosed with a severe allergy to animal hair after having unexplained allergic reactions.

The parents say they have been left with no choice but to homeschool their child – and have been doing so ever since September 16.

Irene said: “We just didn’t realise this was an allergic reaction to animals at the start.

“She started having something very similar to a virus and it just kept on happening, we couldn’t understand why.”

But Irena’s confusion all became clear when she attended Yana’s parents evening.

On the night of September 16, Yana became very ill and started “choking and suffocating”


Irena Ivanyk)

After walking through the school’s corridors she came across the school dog and immediately became concerned.

She maintains she had not been informed of the school’s decision to introduce a dog – even though she has confirmation from her GP of her daughter’s allergic reactions to dogs and cats.

On the night when Irena began homeschooling her daughter, she claims Yana became very ill and started “choking and suffocating”.

The parents insist it was clear the reaction was the same symptoms that were present when she had previously been diagnosed with the allergy.

Now Yana will have to remain on an inhaler for another four months.

Irena said: “It was very hard for me to watch and it was just so difficult for all the family, we were so stressed and worried”.

In the school’s response to the parents, they said they had made plans to reduce the chance of Yana and Mitzi being in the same room at one time.

They also maintain all children must sanitise their hands after coming into contact with Mitzi and they would require Yana to bring all required medication to school.

However, Irena insists it is still not safe for her daughter to return until the dog is removed from the school premises.

She said: “Her airways become inflamed when she is around animals so until the dog is removed it is not safe for her.”

“I don’t want my daughter to have to depend on an inhaler for the rest of her life.”

A spokesperson for The Mead school said: “I’m afraid that we are unable to comment on ongoing parental conversations.

“However, The Mead is committed to providing a safe, happy and enriching educational experience for all its pupils and we are working with the family to resolve this matter.”

Read More

Read More

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *