Distraught Jenna Doody is now demanding answers over the death of her daughter Anastasia-Rose a month after she was delivered – something she believes was ‘preventable’
A devastated young mum is searching for answers after her baby died exactly a month after being born when she contracted a “preventable infection”.
Little Anastasia-Rose, who arrived five weeks early on October 18, fell ill from a Group B Strep infection.
She was born at Birmingham Women’s Hospital before being referred there from Princess Royal Hospital Telford, BirminghamLive reports.
Mum Jenna Doody, who gave birth via via c-section, had her life ripped apart when her daughter died last month.
Despite having an ectopic kidney which makes her prone to infection, Jenna claims that she was never tested for Strep B – a condition that can be treated with antibiotics – at either hospital.
The woman, from Telford, Shropshire, noticed that she was unwell and rushed her to Princess Royal Hospital.
The family were then given the heartbreaking news and on November 18, tiny Anna’s life support machine was turned off and she died.
Now Mrs Doody and partner Joshua are demanding answers over her daughter’s death, which she says was “preventable”.
“It has been so hard but you have to try and make it through,” she said. “Strep B is not something that’s routinely tested for.
“They only test for it if you are in a target group, which I should have been based on my health conditions, as I’m prone to bacterial infections.
“I should have been tested for it while I was pregnant.
“I was looked after through my pregnancy at Telford and then she was born at Birmingham hospital.
“I went to the hospital at 33-weeks because of reduced movement and she had stopped growing.
“They then told us that she needed to be delivered by c-section at Birmingham Woman’s Hospital.
“It was such a complicated c-section that they needed specialist doctors. I have a kidney condition, which made it harder.”
Despite her risky birth, Anna was born healthy and was a happy baby for her first few weeks of life.
But on Sunday, November 14, she became pale and couldn’t settle.
“She was fussy and crying,” Jenna said.
“I’d previously asked the community midwives about her varied breathing but they told me it was normal in the first weeks.
“We’d been to baby sensory the day before and she was fine, it happened so quickly.
The Mirror’s newsletter brings you the latest news, exciting showbiz and TV stories, sport updates and essential political information.
The newsletter is emailed out first thing every morning, at 12noon and every evening.
Never miss a moment by signing up to our newsletter here.
“I called 111 for advice first because she had been showing some signs of colic.
“But when I was on the phone, she suddenly went pale so they sent and ambulance and took us to Telford Hospital. They then sent us to Birmingham Children’s Hospital from there.”
Anna died just three days later of a Group B Strep infection.
Heartbroken Jenna added: “She was on breathing support at Birmingham Children’s and they thought she could have meningitis but it was Strep B.
“There were bleeds on her brain which caused irreversible damage.
“We went into a family room and had a christening. Then we withdrew her life support at the exact time she was born, exactly one month after.”
The family have now set up a GoFundMe page to cover the costs of the service.
Hayley Flavell, director of nursing at The Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust said: “We offer our sincere condolences to the family over the loss of their daughter.
“We always strive to provide the highest possible levels of care to those we serve, and whilst we cannot comment on any specific circumstances, we will always ensure a full and thorough investigation is undertaken if any formal complaint is received.”
A spokesperson for Birmingham Women’s Hospital declined to comment.