Mum shares harrowing birth as placenta left in her womb almost left her in a coma

A new mum turned ‘grey’ and nearly went into a coma after some of the placenta was left in her womb after she gave birth.

Natalie Morgan, 38 developed sepsis shortly after welcoming her daughter in the world.

Just days after the worth, Natalie began to hallucinate and had ‘grey skin’ as a result of the placenta not being properly removed.

She was given two routine injections to rid her body of the placenta within hours of giving birth to Robin in August 2020.

However, the business manager, from Birmingham, began to feel unwell and she was rushed to hospital three days later.

Natalie Morgan gave birth to her daughter Robin in August 2020


Jam Press)

Doctors soon realised that some leftover placenta had caused a life-threatening infection, and Natalie was suffering from severe internal bleeding.

Natalie was just minutes away from going into a coma.

“The hallucinations were horrible. It felt like I was floating,” she said.

“Apparently I was telling the paramedics about trips to Blackpool.

“I felt completely like an ice cube but apparently I was burning up and tried to stop the paramedics from taking the blankets off me when they arrived.”

Natalie, who was already mum to son Dexter, four, and step-mum to Teddy, seven, and Belle, six, found out she was expecting her second child with husband Aiden, 32, at the start of 2020 and was looking forward to her growing family.

Natalie was initially reluctant to go to hospital because she wanted to stay at home with her family

Natalie said: “Although I had morning sickness throughout the pregnancy there didn’t seem anything to worry about.

“I was induced a week early as I had shortness of breath but once Robin was here she was perfect and healthy and took to her first feed.”

After giving birth, Natalie was given the injection to speed up the delivery of the placenta, but the placenta did not come out.

Natalie was rushed to hospital after her temperature hit 42 degrees


Jam Press)

She said: “The hospital told me I may need a trip to theatre if the placenta doesn’t come away. They gave me a second injection and still nothing happened.

“Then a female doctor used her hands internally and told me to push, which I did. The placenta ruptured.

“The staff started piecing this together and kept me on the bed for a few hours incase anymore placenta came out. They’d told me, after a second opinion, they believed it was all there.

“We could see remnants up the walls and on the chairs but at this point, I was happy to go to the ward.

Natalie was eventually able to return home to her children Robin and Dexter

“Due to my pelvic pain, I could barely walk and bled quite a lot on the ward but this can be quite normal after a natural birth.”

Just three days after Robin was born, Natalie was still struggling to walk and could not breath properly.

She felt delirious and her body was “like an ice cube”.

Her concerned husband called 999 after she ran a boiling hot bath but was unable to feel the scalding temperature.

She said: “We had some visitors. Looking back, they’d all said I looked poorly.

“On the arrival of my best friend Emma, I’d started to feel very cold.

Husband Aiden became concerned for Natalie’s welfare after she could not feel her boiling hot bath


Jam Press)

“Emma was talking to my husband and holding Robin so I went for a hot bath. I hadn’t realised but the bath was almost scolding hot.

“Emma, came up and concerned we rang the triage as I was bleeding still quite heavily and my skin went a greyish colour.

“At this point, I was desperate not to go to hospital due to how traumatic the labour was and just wanted to be home with my family.

“There was an urge I had similar to labour to push. My husband wrapped me in blankets and called his best friend’s mum who is a nurse. Yvonne came and called 111, told them my blood pressure wasn’t right.

“At this point, I’m hallucinating. I’m being told I was hot to touch but still felt absolutely freezing. An ambulance was called after Yvonne’s insistence and I was told my temperature was 42 degrees.

Some placenta did not leave her body after she gave birth to her daughter, Robin


Jam Press)

“They told my husband I could slip into a coma and was blue lighted to hospital.”

At the hospital, a scan revealed debris in her uterus and Natalie was told she would need surgery and two blood transfusions.

She said: “Although I knew I was poorly, I was in no doubt I’d get through it. The lovely staff in the operating theatre were reassuring and kind. When I woke, I was surrounded by a large team.

“I could see blood being pumped into me and glanced over a staff member holding my hand. I could see from the stats that my blood pressure was seriously low.

“The surgeon had told me that there was a significant amount of placenta remaining.

“My heart rate was too fast, my blood pressure dangerously low and the temperature still high.”

Natalie was looking forward to growing her family


Jam Press)

The next thing Natalie remembers is waking up in intensive care, where they told her it was sepsis – a life-threatening reaction to an infection.

She said: “I didn’t feel right, I couldn’t breathe properly and I was all alone.

“I was told the microbiologists had to quickly test blood to find the right antibiotics to treat it. They tried several attempts and thankfully found the right one.

“The staff in ITU were incredible.”

Two days later, she was told she had also developed pneumonia, which is linked to sepsis, but thankfully she was able to recover after spending a week in hospital.

However, six months later the sepsis returned, but she was once again able to fight the illness.

Thankfully, Natalie has recovered despite contracting Sepsis for a second time


Jam Press)

She said: “I hadn’t realised how much a toll this had taken on my body and my mind. I’m so glad my family pushed for me to go back to hospital.

“I now suffer from PTSD from it all. I get completely paranoid whenever I’m cold. When I was in hospital I was petrified daily of leaving the children and felt immense guilt that I was to blame for almost dying.

“I’d like other people to look out for signs and act quickly on them. If I’d left it any later, I wouldn’t be here now.”

Read More

Read More

See also  House sales in March down by more than a third compared with a year earlier

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.