Mum recorded herself abusing her child before she and her partner killed him in ‘harrowing’ attacks

A woman and her violent ex-boyfriend have been found guilty of killing a two-year-old boy after their ‘harrowing’ abuse was captured on her secret mobile phone recordings.

Kyrell Matthews was the victim of frequent attacks in the weeks before he collapsed and died at his home in Thornton Heath, south London, the Old Bailey heard.

The non-verbal toddler was discovered to have 41 rib fractures and internal bleeding from a 4cm cut to his liver by the time of his death on October 20, 2019.

READ MORE: Man accused of Tyrone Williamson murder to stand trial later this year

The fractures were caused by a twisting motion and the fatal liver injury was from a kick, punch or blow to the stomach, jurors were told. The non-fatal injuries were inflicted in at least five separate attacks over 28 days, indicating a significant period of abuse, according to experts.

Phylesia Shirley, 24

Kyrell’s mother, Phylesia Shirley, 24, admitted her son to come to harm but denied involvement in his murder.

Her partner at the time, Kemar Brown, 28, who has a string of convictions for violence, also denied any involvement in the murder and causing or allowing Kyrell’s death and harm.

It was claimed on Brown’s behalf that the jury could not be sure Kyrell was killed by accident when Shirley gave him chest compressions – she was wrongly advised in a 111 call to use two hands rather than one.

But experts for the prosecution told jurors there were no recorded cases of a child having a macerated liver from being given CPR.

Kemar Brown, 28

The court heard distressing mobile phone recordings of both adults striking Kyrell on multiple occasions. The audio had been secretly recorded by Shirley because she suspected her partner was being unfaithful.

Kyrell was described as a “happy, smiley” child and would have expressed the pain he was suffering in the final days of his life even though he could not speak, the court heard.

See also  Liverpool vs Cardiff LIVE: FA Cup fourth round team news, line-ups and more today

A jury deliberated for over three days to find Brown guilty of murder and causing or allowing Kyrell’s death. Shirley, who had previously worked in children’s services at Croydon Council, was acquitted of murder but found guilty of the alternative charge of manslaughter.

Adjourning sentencing until March 25, Judge Mark Lucraft QC noted that the court had heard some “harrowing” recordings made by Shirley of the abuse, saying she ought to feel “utterly ashamed”.

Jurors were not told that police had been called to an earlier domestic incident but no offenses were identified and Kyrell was said to have appeared “safe and well”.

A passer-by had alerted officers on July 17 2019 after hearing shouting and screaming coming from their flat, with a female voice saying: “Stop hitting my face.”

It followed an incident in May 2019 when Kyrell suffered a significant injury to the side of his face and spent five days in Croydon University Hospital.

An investigation was carried out by the hospital found Shirley’s explanation that the child had fallen off a sofa and hit his head on a highchair “plausible”, police said.

Both defendants, who were unemployed at the time of Kyrell’s death, were cannabis users and are understood to have been visited by social services on at least one occasion.

It can now be reported that Brown had convictions for robbery, battery, having a knife, drugs and resisting an officer, as well as being subject to a non-molestation order relating to a former partner.

During the period when Kyrell was being abused, he and his sole carers had become increasingly isolated from extended family. During the trial, jurors listened to the distressing audio recordings taken from Shirley’s mobile phone of her.

See also  ITV Coronation Street: Real life of Gary Windass actor Mikey North - wife, son's difficult arrival, forgotten role and unusual phobia

On multiple audio files Kyrell could be heard being hit repeatedly, with Brown saying “Shut up”, causing the toddler to cry and scream. On one occasion, Brown affected several blows on the little boy before telling him: “You have to ruin the fun.”

Court artist file sketch of Phylesia Shirley and Kemar Brown

Another recording captured Shirley striking her son and causing him to cry in distress. Prosecutor Edward Brown QC told jurors that Shirley put her relationship with Brown above her own child.

He said: “She was prepared to reject what should have been motherly care in protecting Kyrell in favor of abuse by her – his own mother – and in favor of the abuse carried out by a man she knew was abusing her child.

“The truth is that his death came when once more he was abused in that flat, once more in a very similar way, causing very similar injuries, except on this occasion it was so much more serious, the abuse and the results were catastrophic. ”

The jury was also played a recording of Shirley’s 111 call after Kyrell collapsed at home. Shirley sobbed as she was told by a clinical adviser to use both hands and “push down hard and fast” and “go for it”.

Shirley, and Brown, of separate addresses in Thornton Heath, denied murder and declined to give evidence in their defence.

Phone video footage of two-year-old Kyrell Matthews with his mother Phylesia Shirley, 24 during his second birthday celebrations

Detective Chief Inspector Kate Karen welcomed the verdicts, saying: “I hope that the conviction of both Shirley and Brown today at least giving them some peace in coming to terms with what happened to Kyrell.”

See also  Hugh O'Shaughnessy: Acclaimed foreign correspondent specializing in South America

The Metropolitan Police officer said finding audio recordings of the harrowing child abuse was “unique” and had affected the whole team.

She said: “They are harrowing, there’s no other word for it. I know that the jury have had to listen to them but my investigation team had to listen to them over and over and over again, in order that we could make sure we’ve understood and heard everything on those recordings.

“And it’s really affected the team. We all choose to become part of the murder investigation team but I’ve never, ever uncovered evidence like this in one of these cases.”

She paid tribute to the toddler, saying: “I obviously never knew Kyrell but we saw videos of him and pictures of him and he just looked like such a smiley, happy, loving child.

Kyrell Matthews

“And that’s how I can only remember him – not the recordings that I’ve heard.”

Senior Crown Prosecutor Samantha Yelland said: “It’s been a horrific case for us all to work on. Kyrell was two years old and would have been able to explain the fear he was feeling, the pain he was feeling to those that cared for him.

“We are used to dealing with cases of a serious nature on the homicide unit but this one was particularly horrific because of the graphic content of those recordings and because of the defenceless young child who couldn’t do anything to help themselves.

“The two people who were supposed to look after him the most were those that caused injury, and in the end his death.”

Click here for the latest headlines from the Manchester Evening News

Read more court stories: Texting lorry driver killed nurse in horrific M62 smash – then desperately tried to evade justice

Also read more: “I may as well do you in, I’ll only get seven years”: Chilling words of remorseless thug as he smashed girlfriend’s head open

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.