Mum, 35, who went to A&E with pneumonia dies three weeks later after devastating diagnosis

Mellissa Little, 35, from Dumfries, beat breast cancer in 2020 but her family were shocked when doctors found that the disease was back giving her weeks to live

Mellissa pictured with her son Kalvin, stepdaughter Zara, husband Robert, and stepsons Fraser and Damien

A brave mum has died three weeks after being given a crushing diagnosis when she was rushed to hospital with pneumonia

Mellissa Little, 35, was told she had weeks to live last month when doctors found out the cancer against which she had previously won a brave battle had returned – and this time around it was terminal.

Her health took an immediate turn for the worst the following day, leaving her in a wheelchair.

Mellissa, who previously beat breast cancer, sadly passed away on April 10, the Daily Record reports.

Her devastating death comes after doctors discovered the disease had not only come back, but had spread to her lungs.

The mum, from Dumfries in Scotland, was initially diagnosed with breast cancer in 2019.

After chemotherapy, radiotherapy and surgery to remove the mass, she was given the all clear the following year.

A checkup mammogram eight months ago also came back clear marking another positive milestone for the family.

Mellissa Little, 35, was given the all clear from cancer in 2020 but the disease made an aggressive return



The family has been left heartbroken by Mellissa’s sudden death



Mellissa’s family are heartbroken by her sudden death after believing she had beaten the disease and doubted it would return.

But moments after her recent diagnosis, she began to deteriorate, began using a wheelchair and became unable to walk.

Mellissa felt well until she discovered another lump in her breast around four weeks ago.

She was given just weeks to live and asked to die at home with her family.

Heartbroken husband Robert, 51, said the family have been left devastated by Mellissa’s sudden death and burdened by the financial pressure of her cremation.

He said: “They wanted her to stay in hospital. She said ‘I’m not staying in. I want to stay at home with my family’.

“The nurses and doctors told her it was incurable cancer. She was too ill to have chemo to prolong her life.

“She wanted her kids to be happy and to stay at home with me as a family.”

Mellissa leaves behind her teenage son Kalvin, 13, stepsons Damien, 14, and Fraser, 23, and stepdaughter Zara, 22.

Her family fondly remembered her as a brilliant mum who was loving and caring.

Robert said: “Mellissa was loving, caring and the most fantastic person I have ever met in my life.

“You couldn’t meet a better woman if you had tried.

“Right up until her last words she said ‘I love you darling and I’ll always love our family. I’ll always be here for you’.

“But she wasn’t. She didn’t make it. Any problems I had or my family had, she fixed them.

“I’ll always be here waiting on her. Even though I know she is never coming back. I sleep in the living room because that’s where she died.

“I still see her, I tell her I love her every night and I see her every morning.”

Mellissa with her family



Due to Mellissa’s sudden passing, her family have no savings to pay for her funeral and are concerned they won’t meet the deposit requirements.

As per Mellissa’s wishes, they plan on a quiet cremation service with just one car but this will cost more than £2,000.

Robert has been informed if he doesn’t make a £1,000 deposit then Mellissa will remain in the chapel of rest until he can afford it.

Donations can be made via Mellissa’s gofundme page.

Read More

Read More

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *