Moment teens ‘re-enact attack on dad who died after skull smashed with log’


The jury at Lewes Crown Court was shown CCTV footage of three teenagers at a train station after an alleged attack on a care worker – they were also shown images of a bloodstained log that was found

Video Loading

Video Unavailable

CCTV shows boys ‘reenacting horrific attack’

CCTV footage shows a group of boys reenacting the alleged attack on a dad who suffered severe brain injuries, according to the prosecution.

A 14-year-old boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, denied shattering care worker Alan Willson’s skull with a log in a park in Worthing last year.

Before the alleged attack, Mr Willson was stepping in to help an 11-year-boy who said the group of teens had bullied him, the court heard.

The teenage boy told Lewes Crown Court today he was scared when Mr Willson came towards him and two other boys with the log in a park at Worthing last year.

This is alleged to be the moment three teenagers reenact the moment they beat a care worker



Mr Willson’s skull was shattered by repeated blows from a heavy, blunt object and he suffered severe brain injuries and will never speak again, the court heard.

An 18-year-old named Harry Furlong, from Horsham, West Sussex, and two others, aged 14 and 15 who cannot be named for legal reasons, deny inflicting grievous bodily harm with intent.

Today, the jury was shown CCTV footage from Goring station that the prosecution said shows the boys reenacting their attack on Mr Willson.

The jury saw two of the boys swinging punches in the air.

Alan Willson from Worthing was attacked when he reportedly stepped in to help an 11-year-old boy who was getting bullied

The boy said he could not remember being at the station and said the boys just wanted to get away.

He told the court: “I just felt scared. I didn’t know if he was still going to come after us.”

Asked if they were buzzing and full of adrenaline, the boy said: “I don’t know. I can’t remember.”

The boys were talking to a group of girls on the platform, the court heard.

CCTV was shown to the jury today of the three teenagers



Asked if he could remember what they talked about or what they were doing, the boy said: “I can’t remember what we talked about.”

The jury was also shown images of the bloodstained log found at the scene.

Dr Charlotte Randall described how Mr Willson’s skull had been shattered by multiple blows from a heavy object.

The consultant forensic pathologist told the court his injuries were consistent with severe blunt force trauma.

Mr Willson suffered severe brain injuries

She told the court: “Punches, blows with objects, kicks and stamps are all possible mechanisms.”

The boy told the court that Mr Willson had one of the others in a headlock and threatened to kill all three of them.

He said: “He was like ‘I’m going to kill you, you f****** c***’, that’s literally what he said.

“I grabbed this rotten stick on the floor and I hit him with it and it’s snapped straight away. I hit him that once and it broke.”

The alleged attack happened at Longcroft Park in Worthing


Adam Gerrard/Daily Mirror)

The boy said he punched Mr Willson trying to get him to release the other boy from his headlock.

He said: “He was just going mad and I was just trying to get him out.

“He was going mad and I wasn’t thinking about how many times I hit him. I was looking at it like he was in danger.”

The jury was also told about previous convictions for two of the boys as Judge Christine Henson QC said the details may be relevant to the issues in the case.

Details of 11 convictions for ABH and battery involving two of the boys were read out to the jury.

The trial continues.


See also 

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.