Mark Cavendish was attacked by burglars at his Essex home. The group even threatened his wife but thankfully neither the cyclist or his family suffered an injuries
Cycling legend Mark Cavendish was assaulted after burglars invaded his Essex home.
Four men broke into the house and also threatened his wife Peta Todd. Their children were also home at the time of the incident.
Essex Police were called to his home in the Ongar area at 2.35am on November 27.
Nobody sustained any injuries but they were understandably shaken up by what transpired.
Currently no arrests have been made as the police continue their investigation.
The 36-year-old cyclist released a statement on the terrifying ordeal in which he described how the men forced their way into his home.
“In the early hours of November 27, while recovering at our Essex family home shortly after leaving intensive care, 4 masked and armed men forced their way into our home as we slept, threatened my wife and children and violently attacked me,” he said.
“At knifepoint, they proceeded to ransack our belongings.
“Amongst what was taken, were two watches of great sentiment and value. But far, far worse to be taken was the sense of security, safety, privacy and dignity that my young family and everybody else is entitled to in their own home.
“The effect that this nightmare has had on my family is already heartbreakingly evident, so I beg anybody who may be able to help us with information to call 101, quoting reference 42/275184/21.”
Senior investigating officer Detective Inspector Tony Atkin said: “This was undoubtedly a targeted incident at the home of a celebrated British Olympian, who at the time was recovering from significant injuries resulting from a crash whilst competing, which was well publicised.
“Our investigation is moving along at pace and we are following a number of lines of inquiry as we seek to catch those responsible.
“Mr Cavendish and his wife were assaulted and threatened in their own home, in the presence of their young children, who witnessed these events. Thankfully, they are recovering, but the traumatic effect will be long standing.
“Today, we are releasing images of the people captured on CCTV fleeing the scene and we would urge anyone who recognises them to get in contact with us immediately.
“We are also releasing images of the suitcase and two watches which were stolen during the incident.
“It is likely the people who stole these items are attempting to offload them for sizeable sums of money and I would urge anyone who is being offered these items to please get in touch with us – they are stolen property.
“If you have been offered these items, please contact us immediately.”
“We know an incident such as this will naturally cause a lot of concern within the community.
“There will continue to be a visible policing presence in the area as our investigations progress in the coming days.”
Cavendish had himself been recovering from significant injuries and a period of intensive care following a major crash while racing last month.
The incident happened at the Ghent Six Day event in Belgium after Kenny De Ketele swerved up the track ahead of him, taking Lasse Norman Hansen’s wheel, causing the Dane to tumble to the deck before an unseated Cavendish went into the back of him.
The incident left him with broken ribs and a punctured lung, and despite initially walking away from the scene he was put on a stretcher before being taken to hospital.