Man died after losing control of a ‘powerful’ motorbike

A man died when he lost control of a ‘powerful’ motorbike he was riding in Salford, an inquest heard.

Lewies Ball from Urmston passed away on November 1 2018 at the Salford Royal Hospital following a crash on Gildabrook Road in Salford the day before.

Mr Ball, who was described as a ‘normal boy who got into all types of adventures’ and had a love for bikes, was taking part in a large motorbike ride-along involving up to 200 cyclists from across the country on 31st October 2018.

READMORE: Wigan council tax expected to increase by around 3 pc to plug £9m budget gap

An inquest into his death at Bolton Coroner’s Court heard that Lewies had hit a curb on the A576 which launched Lewies and the bike into the air and the 26-year-old father-of-one landed head first suffering a ‘devastating traumatic brain injury’ ‘.

During the inquiry which took place on what would have been Mr Ball’s 30th birthday, a statement by his partner Katie Ball was read and said that his loss ‘has been a devastating for all the family.’

Katie said Lewies' death has been 'devastating' for the family
Katie said Lewies’ death has been ‘devastating’ for the family

A witness statement read during the inquest said that they saw Mr Ball mid-air after hearing a ‘loud bang’ when the crash occurred.

The witness statement also stated that they saw two other motorbikes driving close to Mr Ball who had not been wearing a helmet and all three were driving ‘faster than they should be’ along the road.

The inquest heard how Mr Ball, who was described as an ‘inexperienced driver’ was part of the bike ride which started at a place known as ‘the strip’ on the A6144 in Partington and made it’s way through parts of Trafford Park, Eccles and the East Lances.

Mr Ball was given the ‘powerful’ motorbike by a friend of a friend for the bike meet, the inquest heard

During the ride Mr Ball had ‘peeled away’ from the main group, as the cohort came off the M6 ​​and headed towards Salford Royal Hospital, the inquest heard that Mr Ball had taken a left turn and headed towards Gildabrook Road in Eccles.

According to Inspector Darren Hancock of GMP, police investigations revealed the bike Mr Ball was riding was a stolen motorcycle that was ‘not suitable’ for the road.

Insp Hancock said that police concluded in their investigations that there was no other vehicles involved in the crash.

Mr Ball’s family called for the inquest to be adjourned at a later date for more information regarding the two motorcycles that had also been seen on Gildabrook Road the same time as Mr Ball.

However, assistant coroner for Manchester West, Peter Sigee said he was ‘satisfied’ with the information provided by witness statements and evidence from police and pathologist and concluded that Mr Ball had passed away as a result of the injuries sustained in a road traffic accident.

Speaking to the family who called for the inquest to be adjourned for more information.

Coroner Peter Sigee said: “I am sorry that we had to meet in these circumstances and that I had to learn about Lewies in this way.”

Sign up to the MEN email newsletters to get the latest on sport, news, what’s on and more by following this link

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *