Man breaks down seeing horrendous ‘biohazard’ home where his elderly parents live


Rubbish was piled up to chest height at the three-bedroom house in Liverpool where the couple lived off water bottles, a portable cooker and electric heaters

House clearance professional George Mensah described it as “one of the worst hoarding jobs” he has done

A man broke down in tears after walking into the home of his elderly parents where they have been washing with baby wipes and emptying their toilet by hand.

The three-bedroom house in Liverpool was swamped in rubbish after the couple’s 20 years of hoarding.

Rooms were piled high with junk up to chest height leaving some completely inaccessible.

There was no running water or gas at the property meaning the couple were also forced to live off water bottles, a portable cooker and electric heaters.

George Mensah, 58, discovered the atrocious living conditions when asked to clean the property in early February.

The cleaner, who runs Merseyside House Clearance, told the Liverpool Echo how the couple had refused to let their children visit for years and insisted on meeting elsewhere.







The ‘after’ result of Mr Mensah clearing out the hoarded home
(

Image:

Kennedy News and Media)







Builders were employed to do the rest
(

Image:

Kennedy News and Media)

But when the dad was rushed to hospital, paramedics were forced to enter the property and discovered the mess before making the family aware.

Paramedics described the home as a “biohazard” and warned that the ill old man was at risk of catching sepsis or other infections due to the unclean environment.

Mr Mensah said that the elderly couple’s son was horrified to see the state of the property when they both entered it together for the first time.

“When we went in the son broke down and cried. It was an emotional one really,” he said.

“They were just living in the bedroom because you couldn’t get in most of the rooms and they were cooking on a little portable cooker and using a kettle.







Mr Mensah said the entire home was piled high with junk and rubbish
(

Image:

Kennedy News and Media)

“They had no gas either so for heating they had a string of electrical heaters daisy-chained around the house, which is very dangerous.

“The bathroom toilet had leaked so over years all the wood had rotted. You could put a ballpoint pen into it and it just crumbled so they had to empty the toilet.”

After seven days of clearing the hoarded trash, the property remained uninhabitable due to extensive damage, thick mold and grime covering every surface.

Instead, Mr Mensah advised the family to cut their losses and auction the house.

He added: “The place stunk and there were flies and maggots everywhere. It was absolutely terrible. There was stagnant water and milk bottles that had separated with sour milk in them behind the front door.

“On the hoarding scale it was a 10, you can’t get anything in there at all. It was definitely one of the worst ones I’ve done.







Paramedics reportedly told the couple not to go back inside the property because it was a biohazard
(

Image:

Kennedy News and Media)

“You can’t open the doors because they put their arm in and throw things into the room so it’s like an avalanche when you try to open it.

“It was all just junk. There was some good quality stuff like a coffee machine but it was just absolutely ruined and contaminated.

“We were breaking things as we were going in because there was nowhere to stand. In the living room it was up to chest height.

“There was dust everywhere and it was rat-infested. There was chewed up paper and mess everywhere.

“Even for a fit person to live in those conditions you have got to have a detrimental effect on your health because there are airborne bacteria you’re breathing in.”

Mr Mensah said it was then down to the builders to do the rest.

Him and his team tried to retrieve possessions such as jewellery, photographs and heirlooms but everything else was ruined.

“The son said the parents kept saying they needed to go back to the house and get this and that but the paramedics told them ‘don’t go in the property’ because it was a biohazard,” he said.

“They walked away with nothing, just the clothes on their back and that was it.

“They were impressed by how much we’d cleared out but they were still sad because it’s like your house going on fire and the firemen put it out. You’ve still lost your house.”

Read More

Read More




www.mirror.co.uk

See also  Jussie Smollett is out of jail, but faces uncertain future

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.