Luke Shaw to have screws removed from leg Manchester United defender broke in 2015 after complications



Luke Shaw will undergo an operation on Saturday to remove two metal screws in the leg the Manchester United defender broke seven years ago and has been ruled out for around three weeks.

United will be without the injured trio of Raphaël Varane, Edinson Cavani and Scott McTominay against Everton at Goodison Park on Saturday lunchtime in a blow to the club’s hopes of finishing in the top four, although Cristiano Ronaldo is available again after illness.

Shaw suffered a double fracture to his right leg during a Champions League game away to PSV Eindhoven in September 2015.

The England defender had screws inserted in his leg as part of the surgery at the time but some new found complications have meant the player is now due to go back under the knife.

Shaw reported discomfort on international duty for England last month and was then forced off at half-time of United’s 1-1 draw against Leicester City at Old Trafford last weekend.

Rangnick said he expected Shaw to be sidelined for two to three weeks following the operation, which is likely to rule the left back out of the Premier League matches against Liverpool and Arsenal this month in addition to Everton and Norwich City.

“Cristiano is back again but Luke is still injured,” Rangnick said. “We had to take him off at half-time [against Leicester] and he is having problems with his leg where he had the operation back in 2015.

“The doctor told me they have decided to remove the metal bolts in his leg – they need to be removed – and that is happening tomorrow and he will be out for the next two or three weeks.

“Cavani is still injured, Varane is injured – he will be missing out on the game tomorrow and the same is true with Scott McTominay, who is also out. He is having problems with the sole of his foot. So those four players will be missing.”

Rangnick: United have spoken to ‘top coaches’

United are closing in on the appointment of Ajax coach Erik ten Hag as their next permanent manager after a process that has also seen them speak to other candidates such as Paris St-Germain’s Mauricio Pochettino, Julen Lopetegui of Sevilla and former Barcelona coach Luis Enrique, who is committed to managing Spain at the World Cup finals at the end of the year and ended being discounted as such.

Rangnick said all the managers United had spoken to were “top coaches” in his opinion but would not be drawn on Ten Hag.

“This is the press conference for tomorrow’s game and I don’t intend to talk about any possible new managers here,” he said. “From what I know, all the managers with whom the club has so far spoken are top managers, top coaches and if it includes Erik ten Hag this is also true with him but that’s all I can say at this stage.

“I know with which coaches they have spoken and that is why I can say that all the coaches they have spoken to so far are top coaches but my focus is on the game tomorrow and then the upcoming games.”

Rangnick is due to take up a two-year consultancy role from the end of the season once his spell as interim manager is over. Asked if he knew what that would look like from the summer, Rangnick said: “We have agreed upon a contract as an advisor and we will speak on that in the next couple of weeks I’m pretty sure, at the latest at the end of the season. For now, my full focus is on tomorrow.”


www.telegraph.co.uk

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *