Lanarkshire man had television smashed over his head during ‘horrific’ attack

A man had a television smashed over his head during a “horrific” attack in his East Kilbride home.

Victim Ewan Meldrum was also punched and stamped on before brutes Neil Hanton and Anthony Rooney fled with £500 worth of his belongings.

The 24-year-old victim has since died, but Hamilton Sheriff Court heard on Friday his death was not connected to the attack.

The Lanarkshire Live app is available to download now.

Get all the news from your area – as well as features, entertainment, sport and the latest on Lanarkshire’s recovery from the coronavirus pandemic – straight to your fingertips, 24/7.

The free download features the latest breaking news and exclusive stories, and allows you to customize your page to the sections that matter most to you.

Head to the App Store and never miss a beat in Lanarkshire – iOS – Android

Hanton, 25, of Trinidad Way, East Kilbride, and Rooney, 20, described as a prisoner, admitted carrying out the assault in Hudson Terrace on May 8 last year.

Chloe O’Hara, prosecuting, said the three men had been drinking together in Mr Meldrum’s home that evening.

He was attacked around 11pm as he returned from the bathroom.

Ms O’Hara told the court: “As he opened the living room door, Rooney punched him, causing his nose to burst.

“Mr Meldrum staggered back into the hallway and Rooney continued to punch him.

“The victim went into the bathroom and tried to close the door, but Rooney pushed it open while holding a bottle of Buckfast wine and said ‘If you don’t say you’re my bitch I’ll hit you with this bottle’.

See also  The autopsy and the security cameras, keys to clarify the death of Esther López

“Hanton was standing behind Rooney, laughing and filming the incident on his phone.”

Back in the living room, both accused punched Mr Meldrum who ended up on the floor with Rooney.

Hanton then stamped repeatedly on the householder’s chest and legs.

Rooney sat on top of Mr Meldrum and more punches rained down before Hanton shouted ‘Get off him. That’s enough’.

Ms O’Hara went on: “Rooney did get off, but Hanton then lifted the TV and smashed it over Mr Meldrum’s head, causing him to lose consciousness for a brief period.

“Rooney ran towards the kitchen and was heard saying ‘I’m going to finish him off’.”

However, Mr Meldrum was able to get his two attackers out of the flat and lock the door.

They left with bags full of clothes, a Playstation, an Alexa, DVDs, a wallet and keys.

Neighbors heard the commotion and the police were contacted.

Mr Meldrum was “covered in blood”, according to one of the neighbours. He was treated in hospital for injuries including fractures to his nose and foot.

Police officers found both accused at Hanton’s home. All of the stolen items were recovered.

Rooney told officers: “I punched him because he pulled a knife on me.”

Sheriff John Speir deferred sentence on both men until later this month.

Hanton, who had been on bail, was remanded in custody as was Rooney.

**Don’t miss the latest headlines from around Lanarkshire. Sign up to our newsletters here.

And did Iu know Lanarkshire Live is on Facebook? Head over to our page to give us a like and share.

See also  Weary of many disasters? UN says worse to eat

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.