Drug paraphernalia found in a communal dwelling at Lanarkshire flats posed a real threat to the safety of children.
That’s the view of furious locals and elected members in Blantyre after spoons used for drugs were uncovered in a common close.
Understood to have been used for burning heroin on, the spoon was carelessly discarded inside a block of flats on Forrest Street in the town.
The Lanarkshire Live app is available to download now.
Get all the news from your area – as well as features, entertainment, sport and the latest on Lanarkshire’s recovery from the coronavirus pandemic – straight to your fingertips, 24/7.
The free download features the latest breaking news and exclusive stories, and allows you to customize your page to the sections that matter most to you.
Head to the App Store and never miss a beat in Lanarkshire – iOS – Android
One resident at the flats fears her young daughter could come into contact with the items and be seriously hurt.
Local councilor for Blantyre Mo Razzaq is urging those responsible to be more considerate when involved in such actions.
The matter has now been reported a number of times in the area as the culprits appear to use communal dwellings for their activity.
Mr Razzaq also posted a photo of two people believed to be involved in the incident on social media and is calling for action on the issue.
He told Lanarkshire Live: “There’s been complaints about this a few times now.
“The concern is that the people involved are leaving things that are dangerous to children more than anything else.
“We want them to have a think about how they dispose of anything they’ve got rather than leave it out, because if they don’t, people could be hurt by it.”
Councillor Razzaq added: “The residents are concerned about the safety of people who live there and children picking up paraphernalia and hurting themselves from it.
“I want to make the public aware that these actions have consequences, I don’t think the people responsible are intending for that to happen and the consequences that could hurt a child, but that’s what can happen.
“I want to make them aware and ask them to stop doing it the way they’re doing it.”
In an appeal shared on social media, the Blantyre councilor said: “I have received a message from a resident living in Forrest Street, Blantyre.
“Two people have entered the block with and consumed drugs, they have left the spoon and other things.
“I share her concerns as there are children living in the block, please dispose of this and think of the children that could get hurt.
“I have emailed this for action.”
It is understood there are a number of young children living in the area who are in danger of coming across drug paraphernalia and be at risk of being hurt.
Councilor Razzaq explained: “What they did is quite dangerous.
“There are families who are living in these flats who are quite concerned about the drug paraphernalia being left and the things left could make a huge impact on someone.”
South Lanarkshire Council were made aware of the incident and the local authority is urging people to contact them straight away if such drug items are found.
Alistair McKinnon, head of facilities, waste and grounds services told us: “We would urge any member of the public who comes across a syringe or drug paraphernalia, not to touch or attempt to remove it but to let us know immediately.
“Such incidents can be reported to us 24 hours a day on 0303 123 1015 during office hours and 0800 242 024 outside office hours.
“We will respond and remove the items as soon as possible.”
Following the report made on Friday afternoon, South Lanarkshire Council later confirmed that the items were removed and the area was made safe around 4pm that day.
*Don’t miss the latest headlines from around Lanarkshire. Sign up to our newsletters here .
And did you know Lanarkshire Live is on Facebook? why not head to our page and give us a like and share.
George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.