Ketanji Brown Jackson today: Judge says ‘we’ve made it’ as Biden slams GOP ‘verbal abuse’ during hearing

Biden hits out at GOP’s ‘verbal abuse’ against Ketanji Brown Jackson_1.mp4

Joe Biden will give a White House speech today celebrating the confirmation of his first Supreme Court nominee, Ketanji Brown Jackson, who will become the court’s first Black woman justice when she joins the bench later this year.

Having garnered the support of three Republican senators – Susan Collins, Lisa Murkowski, and Mitt Romney – she also received the support of all 50 Democrats. The president yesterday shared video of himself watching the confirmation vote with Ms Brown Jackson at his side.

Meanwhile, Republican Senator Tim Scott has lashed out at criticism from progressive pundits after he voted “no” on the justice’s confirmation. He specifically attacked MSNBC’s Joy-Ann Reid after she accused him of allowing “Lindsey Graham and the sheriffs” to “dog-walk him” into backing conservative policies. “Now he’ll go along with Lindsey’s barking-dog racism against Judge Jackson because: he’s Tim Scott,” she tweeted.

“What is so offensive about what Joy is saying is that a Black man cannot think for himself,” Mr Scott said in response.

1649441468

Biden tests negative for Covid-19

A White House official says that President Joe Biden was tested for Covid-19 this morning and the result was negative.

Oliver O’Connell8 April 2022 19:11

1649440628

Biden condemns attack on Ukrainian train station

President Joe Biden has condemned the attack on the Ukrainian train station this morning, calling it “yet another horrific atrocity committed by Russia”.

Oliver O’Connell8 April 2022 18:57

1649439488

Ketanji Brown Jackson delivers stirring speech marking historic confirmation to Supreme Court

Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson delivered a stirring speech connecting her historic confirmation as the first Black woman to serve on the Supreme Court to many Black Americans’ origin in the United States with a simple phrase: “We’ve made it.”

Eric Garcia reports from Washington, DC.

Oliver O’Connell8 April 2022 18:38

1649439203

Oliver O’Connell8 April 2022 18:33

1649438284

‘One generation from segregation to the Supreme Court’

“Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave, I am the dream and the hope of the slave,” says Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson.

“In my family it took just one generation from segregation to the Supreme Court.”

(Getty Images)

Oliver O’Connell8 April 2022 18:18

1649437988

‘We’ve made it. All of us’

It has taken 232 years and 115 prior appointments for a Black woman to be selected to serve on the Supreme Court of the United States. But we’ve made it.

We’ve made it, all of us.

Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson

Oliver O’Connell8 April 2022 18:13

1649437905

Judge Jackson will remain on appeal court until swearing in

Per a White House official, Ketanji Brown Jackson will remain on the appeals court until she’s sworn in at the Supreme Court this June or July.

The official adds: “Judge Jackson will continue to recuse from all cases on the DC Circuit as she has since the President nominated her.”

Oliver O’Connell8 April 2022 18:11

1649437721

Judge Jackson: ‘Greatest honor of my life to be standing here with you at this moment’

“It is the greatest honor of my life to be standing here with you at this moment,” Judge Jackson tells President Joe Biden.

“It is hard to find the words to express the depth of my gratitude… I have come this far by faith and I know I am truly blessed.”

“I have to give thanks to God for delivering me as promised and for sustaining me throughout this nomination and confirmation process,” she said.

Judge Jackson also thanked Vice President Kamala Harris for her “wise counsel and steady guidance.”

She later said: “I have dedicated my career to public service because I love this country and our constitution and the rights that make us free.”

“I am honored and humbled to continue working in this fashion as an associate justice of the Supreme Court of the United States.”

(REUTERS)

Oliver O’Connell8 April 2022 18:08

1649437041

Biden blasts ‘verbal abuse’ from GOP during Ketanji Brown Jackson hearings

Andrew Feinberg reports from the South Lawn of the White House.

Oliver O’Connell8 April 2022 17:57

1649436796

Biden thanks Republicans who voted for Judge Jackson

“I want to thank three Republicans who voted for Judge Jackson… They deserve enormous credit for setting aside partisanship.”

He says he doesn’t want to get Senators Romney, Collins and Murkowski in trouble with Republicans, but heaps praise on them.

Oliver O’Connell8 April 2022 17:53