Emma Tustin, 32, was found guilty of murdering six-year-old Arthur Labinjo-Hughes and poisoning him by force-feeding him salt-laced meals at their home in Solihull
Inmates “threw salt” at an evil stepmum convicted of murdering her young stepson and poisoning him with salt-laced meals, it has been reported.
Emma Tustin, 32, was found guilty of murdering six-year-old Arthur Labinjo-Hughes at their Solihull home at Coventry Crown Court today.
Arthur, who was described in court as a previously happy, smiley boy, was “deprived of adequate food and water”.
He was forced to stand in isolation for up to 14 hours a day, and repeatedly beaten, punched and smacked, Coventry Live reports.
The young lad died after sustaining an “unsurvivable brain injury” on June 16 last year.
Adding to the horrific list of abuse, Tustin was also found guilty of poisoning the boy by force-feeding him salt-laced food.
It has emerged that while on remand during the trial, Tustin was reportedly attacked by inmates who dashed salt at her.
It’s not the first time Tustin was “targetted” in jail.
At a pre-trial hearing in April her lawyer said Tustin was the victim fo “significant and substantial threats”.
It’s not clear whether she was at the same prison as where she was attacked with salt.
HMP Peterborough refused to comment on individual prisoners when approached about the salt attack.
Thomas Hughes, Arthur’s father and Tustin’s partner, was found guilty of manslaughter, after his son suffered an “unsurvivable brain injury” on June 16 last year.
Tustin was also found guilty of poisoning Arthur by force-feeding him salt-laced meals, with Hughes cleared of a similar charge.
The pair, branded ‘evil’ by police, will both be sentenced tomorrow (December 3).
At a pre-trial hearing in April 2021, Tustin’s barrister said her client had been receiving “significant and substantial threats”, although it is unclear if she was at the same prison at the time.
Speaking at a hearing on April 15, Mary Prior QC said: “She has had a significant deterioration in her mental health.
“There are significant difficulties for her in that she is currently housed in an environment where she is not receiving medication.
“And she is receiving substantial and real threats – and violence.”
Ms Prior said Tustin’s legal team had “done all we can” to urge the prison authorities to “make it plain” to safeguard their client’s health and well-being, including writing to the governor.
She added: “There are weekly conferences and they consist almost entirely of an overwhelmed young lady who is receiving significant and substantial threats and minimal medication.”
Ms Prior told the presiding judge at the time, Recorder of Birmingham Judge Melbourne Inman QC, she had felt it “necessary to say it in open court” because “nothing is changing”.
Speaking at the time, Judge Inman said: “The prison estate, I know, are very good at maintaining medication and treatment for those in their care.
“All I would say is, if there are concerns and problems, the court should be kept informed and, if necessary, we can make inquiries to assist.
“That is not meant as a criticism of anybody but, obviously, if matters of concern are raised with the court, we will do everything we can to assist – to make sure they are resolved.”
George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.