Incidents at the funeral of the murdered Al Jazeera journalist

The Israeli police charged this Friday against the crowd attending the funeral of the Al Jazeera journalist Shireen Abu Aklehshot dead in the head while covering an Army raid in the West Bank.

The funeral procession with the coffin wrapped in the Palestinian flag has left the Saint Joseph Hospital, in East Jerusalem, surrounded by thousands of peopleheading to the Old City Melkite Greek Catholic Church (Abu Aqleh was a Christian) and then to the cemetery.

The Israeli police has charged against the assistants and has even beaten the group of people who were carrying the coffin on their shoulders, who have been about to drop it to the ground. The Red Crescent has treated dozens of wounded.

The agents have snatched the Palestinian badge from some of the participants and ripped them off the hearse. The Palestinian flag cannot be displayed on the territory of Israel, which occupied East Jerusalem in 1967 and unilaterally annexed it in 1980.

The Israeli authorities have justified the actions of their agents alleging that a group of Palestinians have thrown stones at them in the hospital.

Six injured people taken to hospital

The Palestinian Red Crescent emergency service has reported that 33 people have had to be treated as a result of the police charge against the assistants, and six of them have needed to be transferred to a hospital. The Israeli Police, meanwhile, has indicated that “rioters threw stones and other objects at the troops, who in response acted to disperse them.”

While the funeral mass was taking place, hundreds of people outside the church shouted in support of the journalist. Those present chanted slogans in memory of Abu Akleh, in addition to a series of political slogans and against the Israeli Policewhose agents have charged against them on more than one occasion, triggering a series of arrests and violent clashes.

See also  Tesco, Sainsbury's, Morrisons shoppers warned after scammers stole £1,000 from large

The Police have indicated that a total of six people have been arrested during the funeral services, which have had the attendance of about 10,000 peopleaccording to Israeli media.

The last good-bye

Already in the cemetery, the tension has given way to sadness, which has taken over the thousands of people who have gathered there to say goodbye to the reporter. Her relatives have given her the last goodbye before burying her and place on his grave a Palestinian flag and a wreathfollowed by widespread applause.

Among them was a senior member of Al Jazeera, who came especially from Qatar and who, like the Palestinian National Authority (PNA) and several journalists who were with Abu Akleh when he died, Israeli troops have been blamed for the shot that killed him.

Israeli troops kill Al Jazeera journalist in the West Bank

Aqleh, a 51-year-old veteran Palestinian-American journalist, was killed last Wednesday by a gunshot to the head while covering an Israeli Army operation in the Jenin refugee camp. She was wearing a bulletproof vest, identified as “press”, and her helmet, but the sniper’s bullet hit her in the unprotected part of her head.

Both witnesses in the place as well as the television channel itself and the Palestinian National Authority accuse the Israeli soldiers of shooting Abu Aqleh “in cold blood”. Israel denies this and assures that its investigation is inconclusive at the moment.

The United States has offered to mediate between the two parties, but the Palestinian Authority prefers that the case be brought before the International Criminal Court.

See also  The ultras believe more conspiracy theories | Science

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.