‘I thought I was in safe hands’: Routine dentist appointment left wood chipper ‘in agony and hospitalized for 17 days’


A man who claims he was hospitalized for more than two weeks following a visit to a Stockport dentist has been handed five-figure sum in an out of court settlement. Christopher Weate was treated at Park House Dental Surgery in Brinnington Health Center between 2012 and 2015.

The 49-year-old wood chipper believed he was ‘in safe hands’ at the surgery, but was left in agony – claiming he was left with sores in his mouth oozing pus. He endured a ‘nightmarish few months’, culminating, he says, in a 17-day hospital stay.

“It was in 2016 when my tooth problems became really severe,” Mr Weate said. “I went back to the practice with pain and I was told I would need root canal treatment or extraction of one of my teeth. The tooth wasn’t extracted for some time and I started to experience swelling, pus and inflammation so I was prescribed antibiotics.”

READ MORE: BBC Dragons’ Den viewers say episode should have ‘come with warning’ over Steven Bartlett comment

“I eventually had the tooth extracted and was again given antibiotics. I was in so much agony I thought that having it removed would be the end of my sleepless nights!”

However, Christopher says that the discomfort and pain only continued. “I was then experiencing abnormal tingling sensations and one of my teeth became mobile,” he explained.

“I was so scared, especially when I was then referred to hospital with more swelling and inflammation. It was in hospital when I had a CT scan, which was really traumatic and made me feel really claustrophobic and panicky.

See also  Joe Biden called Fox News reporter Peter Doocy 'stupid son of a bitch' after inflation question

“I spent 17 nights in the hospital where they kept me under observation. It was awful! I couldn’t understand how it got this bad – the whole time I was in there I just wanted to go home.”

After contacting lawyers, analysis of Christopher’s records by the lawyers showed his dentist had ‘failed to exercise reasonable skill and care in the restorative management at a number of Mr Weate’s teeth’, the Dental Law Partnership said. This led to a dental infection, the company added, resulting in the loss of three teeth and will sustain the loss of three more teeth in the future, the law firm alleged.

Christopher says the order left him ‘distraught’. He said: “I have been left feeling distraught and self-conscious about my appearance, and endured countless emotional breakdowns that I have never experienced before.

An X-ray showing osteomyelitis in the lower right side of the jaw affecting LR premolar, canine and adjacent teeth in Christopher Weate

“I feel like a completely different person than I was before this all began – it is like I don’t even recognize the person in the mirror. I just want this all to be over and to be myself again.”

When contacted for comment, Dr Bilal Sheikh said he did not agree with ‘the facts as conveyed by the Dental Law Partnership’ and takes ‘pride in providing the highest standards of treatment and care to all my patients’.

He said in a statement: “I would like to make it clear that I do not agree with the facts as conveyed by the Dental Law Partnership, but I cannot provide details of this patient’s treatment and management because of my professional duty to protect the confidentiality of my patients.

See also  Disabled donkey 'happy on four legs again' after being gifted prosthetic for Christmas

“This claim was resolved by way of an out of court settlement, with no admission of liability on my part. I take pride in providing the highest standards of treatment and care to all my patients, and I have only ever done my best for this patient.”


Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.