‘I need help’: Terrified girlfriend whispered 999 call after thug breaks eye socket

A dangerous gun thug who threatened to kill his girlfriend before breaking her eye socket has been jailed for 16 months.

John Davies has a shocking history of violence which led to him receiving an indeterminate sentence of Imprisonment for Public Protection (IPP), meaning he could not be released at the halfway stage

The crook was then jailed for 18 years for possessing a handgun and supplying and conspiring to supply cocaine.

READMORE:Workers at Stanlow oil refinery refuse to unload cargo of Russian oil on-board German ship

The 46-year-old was released in October 2020 and said he was ‘determined to lead a law-abiding lifestyle’, reports the Liverpool echo.

But he is now back behind bars after his partner rang 999 from her bathroom and whispered: “I’ve been badly beaten up by my partner. He’s coming up the stairs. He’s going to kill me.”

Liverpool Crown Court heard Adele Bradshaw said they had been in a relationship for around a year.

However, Davies said they ‘supported each other with their various problems and were occasionally intimate’ but denied they were in a relationship.

Ben Jones, prosecuting, said Davies gave Miss Bradshaw a lift back to her home in Pensby, at around 2.30am, after a night out on January 30 this year.

Miss Bradshaw went to bed, but when she came downstairs the next morning, an argument broke out.

Mr Jones said: “The defendant was unhappy she had been in a group that included a female black friend. She says the defendant made a number of racist and disparaging remarks about the friend.

“She describes him as ‘spoiling for an argument’.

See also  New laws coming in April in the UK including car tax, wages - and divorce

“The defendant was pushing his fists together as if to intimidate her and eventually, when she was sitting on a couch, he punched her in the face while shouting ‘I will f***ing kill you’.”

The court heard he punched her another three to four times and she lost count due to her ‘shock’.

Mr Jones said after the attack, he was still aggressive and ‘wouldn’t let her out of his sight’.

Eventually she asked to use the toilet and went to the bathroom and rang the police at 11.42am.

The line then went dead but officers arrived shortly afterwards, when Davies tried to get Miss Bradshaw to hide, then fled into the back garden.

Mr Jones said Davies injured his face while trying to escape over a fence and was arrested.

The victim was taken to hospital, where she was found to have ‘a closed fracture of the orbital facial bone’, but fortunately her eye was not damaged.

Mr Jones said: “The defendant himself claimed to be the victim of domestic violence at the hands of Miss Bradshaw.

He added: “The police were careful to check. There was no blood in the house. It was found on the fence.”

READMORE:Drunk spotted leaving bar and driving off is banned from the roads

Davies, of Fishers Lane, Pensby, later admitted wounding,

The court heard he had convictions dating back to when he was a boy, including burglaries as a teenager.

He was convicted of assault in 1991, assault causing actual bodily harm in 1992, assault in 2003 and wounding in 2004.

See also  Jak Alnwick: Why Aberdeen and Hibs want St Mirren keeper and how he compares to Joe Lewis and Matt Macey

Liverpool Crown Court

In March 2010 he was convicted of causing grievous bodily harm with intent and given the IPP, with a recommended minimum term of three and a half years.

In June 2011 he was jailed for 18 years for the cocaine plot and having a gun.

Davies has since been convicted of assaulting an emergency worker in July 2019.

John Davis

Charles Lander, defending, said Davies had been recalled on his IPP, meaning whatever sentence he received, he would not be released at the halfway stage.

He will instead have to convince the Parole Board he is no longer a risk to the public before he is released.

There was no victim personal statement or request for a restraining order from Miss Bradshaw, who wrote a letter in support of Davies.

Mr Lander said: “What she does say, your honour, is he has never acted like that with her before.”

The court heard Davies gained qualifications, started working on the railways [for Network Rail] and was described by his family as ‘a very much different man’.

However, Mr Lander said at the time of the Davies attack – who didn’t drink normally – had been drinking alcohol.

He said it was nearly the first anniversary of his mum’s death and Davies had also been thinking about the tragic death of his then 17-year-old daughter in 2011, which happened shortly after he was locked up.

Mr Lander said: “He was let out to attend the chapel. Thereafter he’s had to suffer and spend many years in prison thinking about the fact he missed the last days of his 17-year-old daughter.”

See also  Ally McCoist gets emotional over Rangers' Europa League heroics and recalls journey back from bottom tier

The lawyer said ‘clearly’ Davies was in a relationship with Miss Bradshaw, adding: “She says he was kind, he was loving and he had achieved so much, so she was shocked by his behaviour.”

Mr Lander said his client wanted to point out ‘he is not a racist’ and ‘he made a silly comment’ about Miss Bradshaw’s black friend while ‘drunk’.

He said when released from jail, Davies made ‘very impressive strides’ and was ‘determined to lead a law-abiding lifestyle’.

The judge, Recorder Ian Harris, told Davies it was a ‘domestic relationship’, which ‘you breached significantly with your violence towards her’.

He said police received a call from ‘a clearly petrified woman’.

Recorder Harris said he was sure Davies suffered his injury while trying to escape and there was no evidence to support his claim Miss Bradshaw assaulted him.

The judge said he was ‘impressed’ by the efforts Davies had made since being released from jail, ‘which allowed you to be employed full time by Network Rail’.

He said: “It’s of course a tragedy that your offending on this occasion has put paid to all those efforts.”

Recorder Harris jailed Davies for 16 months, who replied: “Thanks your honor – I’m sorry for everything that’s gone on.”


Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.