How Bedsit killer David Fuller was finally caught thanks to a horrifying coincidence

For 34 years, one of Britain’s most prolific sex offenders David Fuller thought he had swerved justice for the murder of Wendy Knell and Caroline Pierce and the sexual assault of 101 corpses

Video Loading

Video Unavailable

David Fuller is arrested for historic murders of two women

For three decades, David Fuller walked the streets with a swagger in his step thinking he had got away with some of the most horrific offences in British criminal history.

The deviant hospital electrician who believed he was untouchable was convinced he would never serve justice for two murders and the sexual assault of at least a hundred corpses.

But the father-of-four hadn’t counted on a chilling coincidence finally nailing him.

Fuller – know as the “morgue monster” – would pay for his despicable, grisly crimes and he never saw it coming.

Cold-case detectives carried out a review of the national DNA database and that finally proved to be his un-doing.

David Fuller has now been sentenced for his grisly crimes



Fuller will now spend the rest of his life in jail after admitting both Wendy Knell, 25, and Caroline Pierce, 20, both from Tunbridge Wells, Kent.

He also sexually abused 101 dead bodies, his victims aged from 9 to 100.

Both the women he killed were beaten and fatally strangled – but he would now be punished for his gruesome and deprave acts on others in the mortuaries of hospitals over more than a decade.

He was convicted of what became known as the ‘Bedsit Murders’ after police linked crime scene DNA.

He has served justice for the killing of Wendy Knell



Checks showed a close match to 90 people – which detectives were able to whittle down, eventually identifying Fuller’s brother – leading them to the necrophiliac’s door.

But he finally twisted the knife himself.

Detectives found that his brother’s DNA partially matched samples taken in 1987. It was a billion to one match.

Following his arrest he was found to match a bloody fingerprint on a Millets bag found in Wendy’s bed.

Detectives then worked with Clarks footwear archivists to identify a footprint in blood as belonging to one of his trainers.

He has paid for killing Caroline Pierce in Tunbridge Wells, Kent



Pictures in his family album showed him wearing the Sportstrek shoes during the 70s and 80s.

However, the archives of abuse he kept at his home would prove beyond all doubt his stomach-churning crimes.

When the force called on him at his home in Heathfield, East Sussex, he at first denied knowing the two women.

But during a search of his house detectives found hidden computer hard drives, CDs, and floppy discs with more than 14 million images of sex offences.

His fingerprint matched one in blood on a plastic bag found in Wendy’s bedsit



Duncan Atkinson QC, prosecuting, said that evidence found during a search of Fuller’s home showed that he had taken images of women’s corpses in the mortuaries of Kent and Sussex hospital and Tunbridge Wells hospital.

It proved that Fuller had a “particular interest” in the sexual assault of dead women.

Mr Atkinson QC said that the prosecution’s case is that Fuller killed and sexually assaulted the women to satisfy his desire.

They also found handwritten diaries in which Fuller had written details of his hospital victims – who ranged from a girl aged nine to a 100-year-old woman.

Police raided his property in property in Grosvenor Park, Tunbridge Wells



Mr Atkinson QC said: “His desire for sexual gratification through the observation and identification of vulnerable women, gaining control of them, and then indulging his depraved sexual predilections in relation to them, all provides the explanation in relation to their murder.

“It follows that he is responsible for the killing of these young women and then sexually assaulting their bodies after their deaths.”

When asked why he had recorded and kept the images and quizzed on if it was for further sexual pleasure Fuller told detectives: “No,” but later added: “I don’t know why.”

Shop manager Ms Knell was found dead at her flat in June 1987, while Ms Pierce’s naked body was found in a field three weeks later by a farm worker at Romney Marsh, 40 miles away.

Fuller admitted murdering and then sexually assaulting two women decades before carrying out dozens of attacks in mortuaries.

Read More

Read More

See also  Marcus Rashford's continuing woes point Manchester United towards summer transfer priority - Casey Evans

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.