Hero taxi driver who survived ‘evil’ Liverpool bomb says ‘it’s a miracle I’m alive’


Heroic David Perry and his wife Rachel have also thanked the public for their “amazing generosity” in the wake of the Remembrance Sunday attack outside Liverpool Women’s Hospital

Video Loading

Video Unavailable

Liverpool: CCTV captures moment taxi explodes at hospital

The heroic taxi driver who survived the Liverpool terror attack said it is a “miracle that I’m alive” after his cab was blown up.

David Perry and his wife Rachel have thanked the public for their “amazing generosity” in the wake of the Remembrance Sunday attack.

Emad Al Swealmeen, 32, died when an improvised explosive device went off in a taxi at just before 11am.

David released a statement through the Greater Manchester Police which reads: “On behalf of myself, Rachel and our family, we would like to say thank you to everyone for all your get-well wishes and for your amazing generosity.

“We are completely overwhelmed with it.



David Perry and his wife Rachel






The couple have thanked the public




“A special thanks to the staff at the Liverpool Women’s Hospital, the staff and medical team at Aintree Hospital, Merseyside Police and Counter Terrorism Policing, who have all been amazing.

“I feel like it’s a miracle that I’m alive and so thankful that no one else was injured in such an evil act.

“I now need time to try to come to terms with what’s happened and focus on my recovery both mentally and physically.

“Please be kind, be vigilant and stay safe.”

Shocking footage shows David’s cab exploding and him scrambling away a moment later.

Al Swealmeen, a failed asylum seeker who changed his name to Enzo Almeni, built the device that was so powerful that police said it could have caused ‘significant’ deaths.



David escaped the deadly blast




Video of the blast suggests the detonator exploded but the main device failed to trigger.

The Sunday Times reports that after learning of the attack, a male relative of Al Swealmeen posted: “If he was alive, I would be the first to call death upon him should he be found guilty.”

Another sickened member of his family distanced himself from him calling him a “coward” and saying he failed to understand why Al Swealmeen committed such a despicable act, the paper adds.



Emad Al Swealmeen is a failed asylum seeker






The 32-year-old is claimed to come from a middle class family in Jordan
(

Image:

Liverpool ECHO)




It has also been revealed that Al Swealmeen was was not the penniless refugee from Syria he claimed to be but came from a middle class family living in Jordan.

The motor racing enthusiast changed his name to Enzo Almeni so he could sound “more western” taking inspiration for his new identity from the late Formula One boss Enzo Ferrari.

He had also given himself the nickname “GT” after Grand Turismo and was so passionate about the sport that he had a chequered flag tattooed on his arm with a chequered flag, the Times adds.



Aerial view of the aftermath of the explosion
(

Image:

PA)




On Thursday Assistant Chief Constable Russ Jackson, of Counter Terrorism Police North West, said they had traced a relative of his and would be speaking to them about the case.

At the age of 25 Al Swealmeen left his parents, sisters and at least one brother behind at the family home in Dubai.

He is believed to have travelled illegally to the UK where he claimed he was a refuge from Syria.

It is believed he hid the truth about his background but admitted he was from Jordan and had family living in Dubai which could be why his asylum application was rejected.



Mr Perry released a statement through the police
(

Image:

REX/Shutterstock)




Earlier this week, Home Secretary Priti Patel claimed he had exploited Britain’s “dysfunctional” immigration system by staying in the country.

Police are investigating the incident, and while an Islamist plot is one line of inquiry, the PA news agency understands detectives are still keeping an open mind and the motivation is yet to be established.

Security services are still thought to be working on the theory that the hospital was the intended target.

The UK terror threat level has now been raised from “substantial” to “severe”, meaning an attack is now thought highly likely.


Read More





Read More







www.mirror.co.uk

See also  South Lanarkshire's environmental status is 'in a good state'

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.