Hero gran resuscitates newborn granddaughter TWICE during premature home birth


Little Niamh was born weighing just 1.5lbs and has since been described as a medical miracle by stunned doctors after her life was saved minutes after her birth by her hero gran

Joanne with daughter Katie and her daughter Niamh
Joanne with daughter Katie and her daughter Niamh

A great hero resurrected her newborn granddaughter twice after the tiny tot arrived prematurely at home.

Joanne Dolan sprang into action when Katie Dolan went into labor after just 24 weeks and five days of pregnancy.

Little Niamh was born breech and weighing just 1.5lbs – and has since been described as a medical miracle by stunned doctors.

Much of her survival was down to her 53-year-old great Joanne, who performed mouth to mouth on the tot to save her life twice.

Joanne said: “I didn’t have any time to think, I was terrified but just acted as quickly as I could.

Have you got an incredible story to tell? Email [email protected]

Niamh weighed just 1.5lbs when she was born

Mum Katie went into labor at home

“I was anxious and unsure if I had done it properly, but was on the phone to 999 and they explained how to do the CPR.”

Katie, a 24-year-old recruitment consultant from Heckmondwike, West Yorkshire, only became aware of her pregnancy at 19 weeks.

She was then in and out of hospital with heavy bleeding after 22 weeks.

Katie said: “The bleeding kept starting and stopping, and I was being transferred around lots of different hospitals – it was quite scary and I had no idea what was going on.”

Little Niamh is still in hospital

On November 24, Katie was finally able to return home from the hospital and her mum stayed with her.

Katie said: “I woke up at midnight with an urge to go to the toilet. Then I started getting really strong contractions, and I remember shouting and calling for my mum.

“She immediately called the ambulance and they stayed on the phone with us while my mum had to deliver my baby, Niamh.

“Within 15 minutes, Niamh had been delivered and was born breech. My mum had to resuscitate Niamh twice.

“I honestly don’t even remember much, I was in so much shock.”

Joanne, a customer assistant, said: “The whole thing was so scary but I knew I had to do something.”

Proud great Joanne saved the baby

The tot is still in hospital

For more of the news you care about, straight to your inbox, sign up for one of our daily newsletters here.

After Niamh was born, two ambulances arrived and took the family to Pinderfields Hospital.

Neonatal staff met the ambulance and had to “do all sorts to try and get Niamh breathing”, Katie said.

She added: “My mum and I had to wait for 5 hours in the waiting room to see if Niamh was ok or not.

“The staff managed to get her stable. It was absolutely terrifying.

“They then said that Niamh would need to be transferred to a specialist hospital in Sheffield, but that she was quite poorly and did not know if she was going to make the journey.

“I wasn’t even allowed to go to Sheffield with her because you can’t travel 24 hours after giving birth – I was in so much pain and shock.”

Katie then went home “exhausted” with her mum, and waited for a phone call which then confirmed Niamh had made it to the hospital safely and was in a stable condition.

The baby is now 10 weeks old and on high flow oxygen therapy, and will still and is still a while away from coming home.

Katie said: “I haven’t been able to hold Niamh as she’s been on a ventilator and is being fed through a tube.

“She is now 3.7lbs and needs to put more weight on before she can come home to us.

“It’s crazy – the medical staff called her a ‘medical miracle baby’ as they had never seen a baby born this early at home and survived.”

Read More

Read More


Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *