Girl, 8, rushed to hospital after being bitten by venomous snake during Easter picnic


The youngster was injured at Kinver Edge, on the border of Worcestershire and Staffordshire, on Saturday before she was rushed to hospital for an urgent anti-venom injection

An eight-year-old schoolgirl from Birmingham was on an Easter picnic with her family when she was bitten on the finger by a snake

A schoolgirl was rushed to hospital after being bitten on the finger by a venomous snake while enjoying an Easter picnic with her family.

An adder bit the eight-year-old’s hand before she was taken to Birmingham Children’s Hospital during the Bank Holiday weekend.

The youngster – whose name has been withheld – had been spending the day with her family at Kinver Edge, on the border of Worcestershire and Staffordshire on Saturday, April 16.

When the King’s Heath school pupil arrived at hospital, doctors administered an intravenous infusion of anti-venom serum, Birmingham Live reports.

Fortunately, she is now doing well, but is currently being kept under observation by doctors as a precaution.







The youngster was taken to Birmingham Children’s Hospital for treatment
(

Image:

AVERAGE BPM)

Her dad David Rathbone told BirminghamLive: “She had been alerted to the snake’s presence by one of our party, and being a plucky girl, she investigated the striking-looking reptile with her finger.

“Unusually, the snake did not retreat but struck at her finger.

“She gave out a ‘yelp’, at which point I grabbed her hand and sucked hard at the wound on the tip of her index finger.

“The snake still did not retreat. The snake also struck at my hand forcing me to whip my hand out of range.







Within 15 minutes her whole hand had swollen
(

Image:

AVERAGE BPM)

“She then complained of pain and swelling, so we jumped into my car to Kidderminster hospital as the swelling to her fingers rapidly increased.

“About 15-minutes later at the minor injuries unit her whole hand had begun to swell.

“The staff acted swiftly, binding her hand and lower arm.

“Then they made the decision to whisk us under blue lights to Birmingham Children’s Hospital where serum was stored.

“She was taken into the resuscitation unit. She was in fine spirits throughout, being a very brave girl, until she received an intravenous infusion of anti-venom serum, which made her quite ill as it’s a strong drug.

“After a tetanus jab, she was kept under close observation. A second intravenous infusion was administered at about 1am today.

“She is now feeling fine, if not a little fed up at missing out on a planned Easter egg hunt, while she remains under observation at the hospital.”

Mr Rathbone added: “This is a very rare event, and the snake’s behavior quite bizarre, perhaps triggered by the sudden change in weather to this warm spell. I hope this alerts walkers using similar bracken heathlands.”

Read More

Read More




www.mirror.co.uk

Related Posts

George Holan

George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *