Women’s safety campaigners have slammed the decision to drop the investigation into Doctor Who star Noel Clarke after up to 20 women made harassment and bullying claims against him
Image: Wire Image)
The Met Police has shelved sex harassment claims against “shamed” actor Noel Clarke – to the fury of women’s safety campaigners.
Up to 20 women claimed sexual harassment and bullying by the BAFTA winner, a star of Doctor Who and Bulletproof.
But now the Sunday Mirror can reveal the Met has decided the women’s testimonies “would not meet the threshold for a criminal investigation”.
Anna Birley, of pressure group Reclaim These Streets, said: “Reporting experiences of sexual assault or abuse is difficult, and so it must be hugely upsetting for women who have been so brave and spoken out to hear that the police don’t believe their testimonies are enough.”
Campaigner Anna, who formed the group after the murder of Sarah Everard by Met officer Wayne Couzens, added: “Our criminal justice system fails women time and again.
“Women deserve to be listened to and believed.”
In May last year the Met said it was “assessing” claims against Clarke, 46.
In July it said more women had come forward.
But yesterday the force admitted it will not launch a formal probe “following a thorough assessment by specialist detectives”.
A spokesman said: “We have updated the complainants. If any further allegations related to those already assessed are reported then it will be thoroughly considered.”
Reports of the father-of-three’s behavior emerged last April. Clarke – married to make-up artist Iris Da Silva – apologized but denied sexual misconduct.
One accuser claims Clarke said he planned to “f*** her and fire her”. She claimed he secretly filmed a naked audition.
BAFTA knew about the claims before handing him an Outstanding British Contribution to Cinema award. It later retracted the gong.
The Mirror’s newsletter brings you the latest news, exciting showbiz and TV stories, sport updates and essential political information.
The newsletter is emailed out first thing every morning, at 12 noon and every evening.
Never miss a moment by signing up to our newsletter here.
Meanwhile Sky halted filming of his crime drama Bulletproof, while ITV pulled the final episode of the drama Viewpoint.
Christina Chong, who starred in Bulletproof, tweeted about the claims: “The UK film industry’s best kept secret for years! If in doubt, trust me, it’s true.”
Co-star Mandeep Dhillon, 30, wrote online: “About f****** time.”
Former London School of Dramatic Art students claimed Clarke encouraged them to undress in improvisation workshops.
Londoner Clarke was said to be worth £3million before the claims.
He later quit his own TV production company.
But he denied criminal wrongdoing, saying: “Some actions affected people in ways I did not intend or realize. I am deeply sorry. I will be seeking help.”
Clarke was approached for comment on the Met’s decision.
George Holan is chief editor at Plainsmen Post and has articles published in many notable publications in the last decade.